Unlimited Vista Activations?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by bballs91, Jan 22, 2007.

1. bballs91

bballs91

Alright well im readying up to actually buy Vista soon as I've been using various builds for a long time now, but im still confused on one thing. When I purchase a copy of say, Home Premium, or Ultimate. Can I install and activate that CD-Key unlimited number of times? Also does it make a difference if I buy OEM or Retail regarding the number of times i can install and activate?

bballs91, Jan 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bballs91

Jason

Doesnt matter if its OEM or retail, OEM just won't come with a manual. Vista will work just like XP does as far as keys and activation are. You can use the key as many times as you want but you can only activate one key, so once its activated its done. You can always uninstall vista and reinstall it as many times are you want. There was a revision to the previous license agreement microsoft put out which is why you may be confused.

checkout:

http://www.obharath.net/blog/2006/11/03/revision-to-vista-retail-licensing-terms/

Jason, Jan 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bballs91

WAW8

Have Vista Ultimate installed in dual-boot with WinXP, using the 30-day trial. Will be receiving the Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM DVD in the next day or two (before the trial expires). Have been building PCs for years, so am used to the WinXP licensing restrictions.

But rumours are that Vista OEM licensing is an entirely different thing from Windows XP.

My first question is -- when I get the OEM DVD, can I simply change the product key and activate Vista. My guess (put that as "hope" -- since I bought the OEM DVD to do this) is that this will work OK.

Second question is a bit tougher. I intend to keep using dual-boot mode until the vendors of all the third-party apps and hardware I use finally get off their collective butts and write Vista-compliant drivers. That's probably going to be a couple of months. But after I have all the update software and drivers, and confirm they work OK in Vista, I'm going to blow away the WinXP installation (after imaging it, of course) and reinstall Vista Ultimate OEM using a clean install. Of course, I'll have to reactivate Vista at that time. So, my second question is -- when I then go to activate the same copy of Vista again, using the same product key, is MS going to claim I have an "invalid product key" and refuse to activate? I'm asking this question because when I installed Vista, even though my hardware didn't change, another product claimed that my hardware "code" had change and required me to reactivate using the new "code". If MS thinks the same thing when I reinstall Vista after the removed of WinXP, I don't want to have to buy a second copy of Vista just to activate it.:ermm:

I've read that Vista retail will allow repeated activations, but can't find anything about Vista OEM.

WAW8, Jan 27, 2007
  4. bballs91

ericg

When you use OEM DVD to install Vista, it is not necessary for you to input product key manualy.

when you finish installing vista with OEM Vista DVD, actually, youroperation system has beenactivated.

next time, when your Vista has some problem and want to reinstall it, just do it and the Vista still have been activated after you finish installing it. But if youuse OEM DVD to install the vista in another computer which has different hardevice, the vista cannot be activated.

ericg, Jan 28, 2007
  5. bballs91

WAW8

OK, if I understand what you said, Vista won't prompt me for a product key when I install using the OEM DVD, but that's not really the issue that worries me.

I already have RTM installed without a key, and I want to activate it using the OEM DVD product key. While I'm guessing this will probably work, my real concern is that in doing that, I've used up my one and only activation with that key.

Thus, when I reformat and reinstall later (to remove the dual-boot situation), I will then get an indication from MS that my key has already been used and they won't allow me to activate it again.

But if, as you indicate, Vista doesn't prompt for a key for an OEM install, then that won't be a problem, right?

WAW8, Jan 28, 2007
  6. bballs91

Vince53

Okay, dumb question that I might have figured out the answer to, but I can't find any confirmation.

I intend to buy Vista for my current machine, even though I am happy with XP. Suppose in a couple of years, I buy a much more powerful computer for a low price, because it also uses XP. (I live in Mexico, so this is possible).

I uninstall Vista from my current machine and install it on the new machine. How will Microsoft know that I uninstalled Vista from my first machine?

Vince53, Jan 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question