Uninstalling Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by sfzab, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sfzab

sfzab

I replaced an Asus M2N-SLI mobo for an Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Series mobo that has Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed on the SATA 1 HD. On the SATA 2 HD opensuse linux 11.1 is installed.

When I booted for the first time the Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Series the Windows Vista Home Premium ran well, and I did not have any problems reactivating the operating system. I did had problems with opensuse linux 11.1, but after reinstalling it again on the second HD drive it also works well.

I bought a Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Installation DVD, but I cannot install it. How can I uninstall Windows Vista Premium 32-bit so that the new 64-bit version will install properly on the SATA 1 HD?

I tried to use latest gparted version {the gnome partition editor} to delete the Windows operating system partition, but it fails to run on the PC. The new motherboard has 4 X 1GB memory modules, and the CPU is an AMD AM2+ 7750 Dual-Core processor.

I do not know if there any other alternate ways to solve this situation.

Your kind assistance will be highly regarded.

sfzab, Jun 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. sfzab

WAW8

If you tried running GParted from a Linux version LiveCD, was the CD able to detect the drives? OR did you try running GParted from inside SUSE?

Either way, your best bet is to download and burn a GParted LiveCD or a Parted Magic Live CD (both available from distrowatch.com), boot with either of those, and use those to remove the Windows partition.

WAW8, Jun 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. sfzab

sfzab

On the Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Series motherboard with an AMD AM2+ 7750 Dual-Core processor that I am using the GParted screens will run well up to this one:

Which mode do you prefer?

(0) Continue to start x to use GParted automatically

(0) 0 {enter}

Then an error message appears onscreen that reads:

74.5 KHZ / 59.6 HZ

FREQUENCY OUT OF RANGE

TRY OTHER RESOLUTIONS

The monitor is a 15" KDS USA CRT.

Fortunately, Parted Magic 4.2 (2009) does not present the above problem. I did not have any kind of problems navigating through the different icons that it has.

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

sfzab, Jun 23, 2009
  4. sfzab

sfzab

After running GParted Magic and deleting the prior Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit partition to install then Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit the following message appeared onscreen at a certain point

The installation was cancelled

Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved.

Install Windows

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800700D

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................OK

Can the error 0x800700D be corrected?

sfzab, Jun 24, 2009
  5. sfzab

WAW8

Have only seen two situations in which this was easily corrected.

1) 4 RAM sticks. If it's a pre-SP1 version of Vista, it may not install with 4 sticks of RAM, especially if they total more than 2GB. Have to remove two sticks and retry.

2) If it's an IDE drive, some folks still use 40-pin cables instead of the new 80-pin. But I believe you said your drives were SATA, so that shouldn't matter.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the DVD is scratched.

WAW8, Jun 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question