Uninstalling Norton products fixes some "Local only" problems

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by WAW8, Feb 4, 2008.

1. WAW8

WAW8

There have been reports that despite settings to the contrary, Norton (i.e., Symantec) product firewalls are preventing access to the Internet. The solution that has worked has been to completely uninstall the Norton products. Since the standard method doesn't always work, use the details in the link below to download and run a "clean" routine:

[url]http://service1.symantec.com/...iew=docid&pid=2007020923124413&pkb=sharedtech [/url]

WAW8, Feb 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

lancea

Thanks for this. Saved my bacon. Norton Internet Security 2008 almost certainly killed my network on Vista Ultimate.

My network consists of a wireless access point, with main PC (Vista Ultimate) and file server connected via cable, and 2 laptops connecting wirelessly. Yesterday morning the connectivity on my main PC was fine. I arrived home and turned on the PC. The network icon ishowed "Local access". My file server and laptops were connecting just fine. The network repair wizard showed 'Windows confirmed that "Primary DNS Server" is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time'. It suggested resetting the NIC (which I did - again) and also advised "The following policy may need to be adjusted to allow Windows to connect:

Policy Provider:-

Filter Name: SynNetDrv Firewall Filter OUTBOUND TRANSPORTV4

Ping <anything (including 127.0.0.1) > returned "General failure".

I rolled the NIC back to an earlier driver; installed a driver from the vendor's site; changed network cables; tried different router port; rebooted router; changed the NIC; disabled Norton Internet Security 2008 firewall and protection; turned off Norton AntiBot; tried System Restore (which failed for some reason). All to no effect.

Finding this thread earlier, I decided it was time to see if it would work. I downloaded the Norton Uninstall Tool and ran it. I think there was a reboot next, but my network was restored! Reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2008, ran Live Update and rebooted. My network is still okay.

lancea, Feb 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. WAW8

lancea

Note that ping returned "General failure" regardless of the destination. Even ping 127.0.0.1 returned "General failure". The NICdriver was shown by Vista as "This device is working properly", and results from ipconfig /all looked fine. I'm using static settings.

And yes - my network is STILL working. So, thanks again for the sticky-post.

lancea, Feb 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question