Unidentified network connection

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by dierambon, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dierambon

dierambon

Good day all,
    A few days ago there was a power outage in my area and since I have not been able to connect to my network. I am in a wired conection. I called my Internet provider (Comcast) and they sent me a technician to install a new modem. The technician installed it and he was able to connect thru his own laptop but my desktop did not recognize the network. I keep getting an invalid IP address starting in 169. I took my desktop to a technician at Office Depot and to my surprise it worked fine over there, so I guess my network card is working properly. Right now I am connected from home using another desktop so my connection at home is also working properly.
    I would apreciate any thoughts.
    Thank you

dierambon, Apr 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. dierambon

WAW8

Are you connecting at home directly to Comcast? Or are you connecting via your own Router?

Asking because a relative uses Comcast and, a while back, their router went out. So, I bought a new one, replaced the old one, and couldn't get an IP address anymore. (169 indicates that you're NOT being issued an IP address from your ISP).

Called Comcast, told them to change their MacAddress info in their access table to match the new router -- so we could get service again. They INSISTED they used no such filtering! So, I got the old MacAddress of the failed router, used the feature on the new router to change it's Mac Address, hooked the new router back up and __ AMAZING -- we then had an IP address!

So basically, the Comcast tech LIED. They had configure the access to use the MacAddress of the initial router (which was the one in place when the system was initially set up).

However ... this was a few years ago, and they might have changed.

WAW8, Apr 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. dierambon

dierambon

Thank you for your response.

I connect directly to the modem, I do not have a router. I am actually connected to the modem right now from an old windows XP computer that I had and it is working fine. The Comcast technician had a laptop with windows 7 and he had access.

So far, they have given me 3 different modems and nothing seems to work.

To add to the mistery, my desktop connected fine when I went to Office Depot. The technician there just plugged my desktop to his monitor and to the ethernet and got a connection right away.

I kind of running out of options....

dierambon, Apr 26, 2011
  4. dierambon

WAW8

The modem does NOT do access filtering -- COMCAST does that.

Could be that at Office Depot, they're not going through Comcast -- which explains why your PC can get access there.

You need to DEMAND that Comcast send someone to your home to fix this -- and if they refuse, you need to look for a different ISP. I've already told you that they LIE about access controls.

WAW8, Apr 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question