Understanding Vista’s New Network Connection Icons

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jason, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Windows Vista’s network connected icons that live in the system tray have a new feature: They let you know if you are connected to the internet, or just your local network. These new icons are especially useful when you are connected to a wireless network.

<A id=more-224></A>

Connected to Internet

Notice the tiny globe, indicating connection to the internet. Mousing over the icon will also show the popup window, which will tell you exactly what you have access to.

[​IMG]

Connected to Local network only

Notice that the globe icon is gone, indicating that you can’t connect to the internet, but you can connect to local computers.

[​IMG]

Not Connected

Maybe you should plug that cable back in ?

[​IMG]

Windows Vista is definitely more polished than XP.

howtogeek.com

Jason, Jan 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Camride

It's still not perfect though. When I'm at work on my LAN the globe will show up for a little while but will eventually turn back into a X even though I still have access to the internet and local computers. I haven't figured out why it's doing that yet, but I'm trying to figure it out. When I'm on WiFi though it stays on the globe the whole time. Kinda wierd.

Camride, Jan 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

MeeMee_DON

NEED HELP WITH WIRED NETWORK connection

i'm useing vista home permium and my sister computer is useing windows xp home

i want my sisters computer to be able to connect to the internet via my computer becuase i do not have a router.

i used to get a message saying invaild IP but i messageed around and fix that problem do both computer need to have the same ip or somthing? windows xp was easy becuase all you had to do was create a new home network and all the options were there 4 you.

so guys any idea why theres no internet on my sisters computer thanks

MeeMee_DON, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question