Understanding Dual Booting in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Jason

Red Devil

GAG doesn't run on 64-bit Vista. :(

Red Devil, Jun 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

niffer022

thats a kick in the nuts then i never new that....

how you got vista installed, on a partition or on a diff harddrive???

they say if you install vista inside xp it will create a boot section so at the bios it will give you option on which o/s to load.. all you have to do is during instulation is select which destination you would like it to install to....

give that ago mate... :)

niffer022, Jun 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Red Devil

Yes, that's the way I have Win2K set up now. I have (had) Win2K and when I tried to install it from within Win2K bys doing a Run z:\setup.exe, it said, "Z:\setup.exe is an invalid Win32 application". So, I changed the BIOS to boot fromCD and it installed, but I lot access to Win2k now.

The error I am getting when I try to boot is:

Invalid Boot.ini

Booting from C:\Winnt

NTLDR failed

Trouble is, Vista renamed myWin2K drive from C: to D: and my Vista drive from D: to C:, so it trying to find Winnt on my C: drive breaks it. My BCD is set to look in my D: drive for {ntldr} and my C: drive for Vista, so why Bootmgr is trying to find \winnt on my C: drive is a mystery.

I'm thinking of trying Bootsect.exe from in the Boot folder in the Vista install DVD to see if that will help by resetting the MBR with NTLDR on my Win2K drive.

Red Devil, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Jason

acu192

I've got a different type of problem... I don't want to have it pull up a boot menu i just want it to boot Vista.

Here's what happened. I tried to boot from the Vista install cd but it hung up. So i installed XP and then installed Vista from there. It installed Vista just fine but it put all the bcd and bootmgr stuff on the xp drive (XP is on the C: drive and Vista on the D:).It dual boots just fine.Now when i pull the XP drive out of the computer it will not boot. I have looked through all the bcdedit options and i can't find a way to move the bcd and bootmgr to the D: drive. I tried just copying them over and it didn't work.i also tried running bootsect.exe from the install disk then running fixntfs.exe but when i run fixntfs i get this error:

"ERROR: To update boot sector code, use bootsect.exe from the boot folder of the install media."

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help would be amazing and thanks in advance.

acu192, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Jason

Jason

I dont think moving all the files over will work, since it may be embedded in the bootmgr which drive has which OS on it etc.. But you can try moving them and then changing the appropriete settings in vista mycomputer -> startup, and bcdedit. But I think you will just need to reinstall vista. Vista will put its bootmgr on the primary disk drive, so make the D: drive primary and reinstall vista.

Jason, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Jason

Yoni5002

I would like to add 2 things just to help a little bit...

1- For a detailed guide about Vista instalation please visit my little web page... It will help you I think:

http://yoni5002.whwh.biz/VistaInsGuide.html

2- You don't have to re-install Vista after you rebuild the XP bootloader, boot.ini, etc...

Simply drop your Vista DVD in the DVD drive, boot up like if you were to install Vista. Once you get to the screen when you are suppose to select "INSTALL NOW" just look at the end of that window and you will see the "Recovery Console" option... Basically Vista will write its boot files, fix the Dual boot and restart the PC for you to select which OS to load, ALL THAT IS DONE AUTOMATICALLY, ALMOST NO USER INTERVENTION.... Good luck... Hope that helps

Yoni5002, Aug 19, 2006
  7. Jason

chrisr

This seems like a pretty good place to post this question, though its a little different than the issues you all are running into.

I loaded Vista on a secondary drive, it booted into vista fine after the install, however after restarting the system booted right up into XP.

It appears that the Vista bootloader did not overwrite the XP boot.

I booted back to the Vista DVD to see if I could recreate or repair the BCD, but it said it was fine.

Then after exiting from the Vista CD setup, it boots right into Vista..

I ran Vista boot Pro, to try and recreate the BCD, and add the XP installation, however this made no change. It is still booting to the boot.ini , unless I boot to the Vista DVD first..

Any ideas on how to get the Vista Boot loader to take over after the fact, or should I should try to reload Vista?

chrisr, Feb 16, 2007
  8. Jason

mastroz

I think I might have the same issue... installed vista... then Xp. Than I ran the vista recovery cd and now it boots into vista all the time and no XP. What should I do?

mastroz, Feb 21, 2007
  9. Jason

Zan.exe

<DIV class=postcolor id=post-50241>Hello, I have searched high and low ALL DAY for how to add Vista to my boot.ini file. I know how to access it, and tried to write a syntax for loading Vista, but when I select it at startup, it goes blank and stays there. I can select XP fine and it works. The only info that showed up on searches show how to use BCDedit in vista, or how to add previous versions of windows, because Vista doesn't use boot.ini anymore. No one expects me to dual boot XP onto a PC with vista. Here is my boot.ini file: (maybe windows vista doesnt start up from \WINDOWS???)

PM me or post on the thread I started with your replies please!^^!

<DIV class=codetop>CODE</DIV><DIV class=codemain>[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [Operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate" /fastdetect</DIV>

Anyone else dual booting? would you PLEASE post your boot.ini file, so I could copy it please? I cant get back onto Vista until I figure this out ='( </DIV>

Zan.exe, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Jason

kingofnexus

You need to dual boot using Vista's boot loader. Repair the vista boot loader using the DVD. Then you can boot into both XP and vista. You can then customise the boot loader using the command line interface.

The vista bootloader is wrote on the C: drive.

I have XP on C: and Vista on D:. Trust me this is the way to go about it.

kingofnexus, Mar 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question