unable to use VoIP software, file sharing applications dc++ and bitcomet

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by kishan, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kishan

kishan

Hello All,

I am new to this forum.

I have been using a legal version of windows vista business with SP 1 and have installed all the recent updates.

Just a few days ago some of the applications that I often use dont work any more. The applications are freecall ( a voip software ), Bit Comet and DC++ .

I have searched many forums on all the above mentioned applications and also many Windows vista forums but still am not able to figure out what has gone wrong or why am unable to fix this issue.

Some of the things that I have tried,

1) Tried system restore by restoring the system to a week earlier settings. This didnt work out.

2) uninstalled the firewall ( comodo ) I had on my comp. Disabled windows firewall . Even this didnt work.

3) I had VMWare installed and hence I thought that it had disturbed the network settings . So later i also uninstalled this VMWare application.

4) Then after reading some posts in other forums, I ran services.msc then disabled UpnP and SDSP . Even this didnt work out.

5) Now I have only my windows firewall turned on with exceptions to all the applications mentioned above.Even now it does not work out.

For the Dc++ thing, am unable to connect to the university Hub. whenever I try to connect to the hub it will say,

" Connecting to tudc.no-ip.org:40011...

[23:43] *** A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I have to say that the hub is up and running.All my friends are able to connect.

For the Bit comet thing and other bittorrent applications it says that

"UpnP has stopped working correctly and has to debug " . After that it wont work.I have to close the application.

For the VoIP software Freecall I tried all the connection settings that I read on its website FAQ. They wont work. So now am unable to use the VoIP service that I had paid for . I was using this without any issues and making nice VoIP calls to my home till a few days back.

ok, I then tried the settings for the UpnP ,SDSP services to automatic in services.msc . Even then nothing seem to work.

I dont have any routers or additional firewalls . I just have a direct cable connection that I plug into my Ethernet socket in my laptop.

So It would be amazing and I would be extremely greatful if some one Could help me in fixing up these issues.

All in all this Vista has made my life hard in the last few days. I still have this because I work on some softwares related to my studies that works only in windows.Also I play some games that runs only in windows .I would soon move to Ubuntu Linux once my commitments are over with my studies. :angry:

kishan, Mar 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. kishan

WAW8

You've tried the least-damaging methods of restoring your machine to working condition -- and none of them have worked.

I specifically do NOT run torrents on any of my machines because I've read about too many situations like this when, suddenly, peoples' machines quite working and, "they didn't download or install anything". And yeah, I know there are legal torrents, so don't give me the "I'm not doing anything illegal" speech. IT's just a bad idea opening your machine to the world -- even though it's supposed to be safe.

I didn't see any mention of AV apps on your machine, which could be a big contributor to the problems. Unless you have done this already, get hold of Kaspersky, NOD32, or Norton 2009 and run it against your machine to see if it finds anything. Don't rely on Windows Defender to do this for you.

If they do not find anything, your only recourse is going to be a complete reinstallation.

WAW8, Mar 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. kishan

kishan

Thanks for the response. I was wondering why there were no replies even after 19 hits on the topic.

I run Avast Antivirus free edition . I have always been satisified with its performance since i have been using it for a very long time.

But just before this problem occurred, I had some malware detected by Avast . It detected something in Windows temp directory. But when I copy that full path and check the location of temp I found no malware .

It constantly gave me the alarm for many times about the malware in temp directory. So I decided to scan all the drives with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, comodo Antivirus and spyware detector.I found them to be clean.

then i used glary utilities, ccleaner to completely clean the system as they normally wipe out the temp directory.

Finally I set the scanner sensitivity in avast from high to low since it was always giving me the alarm for the same issue if I set it in high sensitivity.

But now i dont have that alarm screaming eventhough the sensitivity is high.Also exceptions have been set for all the applications that I have mentioned in Avast.

So these were some of the things that have been tried during the course of this problem.

I hate to reinstall again if thats the only choice I have :angry: . Is there any other thing that I can try .:exclamationmark:

kishan, Mar 2, 2009
  4. kishan

WAW8

My concern is your comment "... nothing seems to work", implying that there is a wide-ranging problem at work in your machine. Only know of two basic causes for that: malware and system file removal/corruption.

You can run an "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt which will scan all the system files, look for corrupted ones, and attempt to replace them. You may need a Vista DVD if it can't find original file versions.

You've apparently already tried the malware cleanup route and had some success. So, while yet another product COULD find things the previous products did not, it also might not find anything new.

You could also try reinstalling the failing apps -- if there are a small number of them. An AV product won't know how to replace corrupted files; it will simply quarantine them.

If neither of these work, a reinstall is the only thing that will get you a working system back.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question