Unable to use F8 to get safe mode with dual boot

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Simon Sudbury, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury

Hi Everyone

New member so won't bore everyone with long tale of woe. Gist is that I dual boot Vista and XP with Vista preinstalled. Never had a problem in two years but recently decided to increase the size of the XP partition as it was filling up. Duly used Easeus to decrease the C partition by 10 Gb and then used that to double the size of the XP partition.

Easeus worked fine and Vista is hunky dory. However, when I select XP from the boot screen the system just hangs at the blue welcome screen. Someone suggested going into safe mode XP but that doesn't seem possible as the F8 menu option is only available if I select Vista and not XP.

I just can't figure out how adding to the size of the XP partition could cause this problem. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP as it took ages first time around as my DELL XPS 420 was not enginnered for XP only Vista.

I would much appreciate any advice here. Many thanks for your time.

Simon

Simon Sudbury, Nov 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Simon Sudbury

clifford_cooley

Start XP and then type "MSCONFIG" from the run box. The boot tab should have an option to start in Safe Mode.

clifford_cooley, Nov 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury

Hi

I can't get that far. You get the black screen showing XP loading but then it freezes on the next blue XP screen.

I'm wondering if my XP installation disk might have a repair facility or something like that.

4. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury

Thanks again

Update: Used F8 during XP boot to get menu of options. Unfortunately neither booting in safe mode or "Return to last known working..." helped. It gets to the blue XP screen with the coloured windows flag and then just freezes.

It's bizarre as I reduced the Vista partition and that's fine and dandy. Increased XP from 10Gb to 20 Gb and now this!

I'm going to look at Easeus but I'll bet $1m that it won't have a restore facility.

It took me ages to get XP up and running with all the stages and complications from using a machine built for Vista.

Unbelievable.

5. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury

Tried Easeus partition recovery tool. I selected disk 0 which has the Vista and XP partitions yet when the application finished it identified a 32.01 Gb capacity partition to recover. This is odd since I reduced C and increased K to 222 Gb and 20 Gb respectively.(the only other partition on that disk was "Recovery" at 15 Gb.

I guess there's no harm in recovering this 32.01Gb partition as I'm stymied as far as XP is concerned at the moment.

Thanks

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question