Unable to read DVDs and large files

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by 22gbloodangel, Jan 26, 2008.

1. 22gbloodangel

22gbloodangel

Hi, ever since picking up Vista a few months back, I've been having real troubles in getting the OS to read large files from disk. Not only are there backups from my old XP System that it won't read, but it also won't read valid/legal DVDs of films or TV series (like Firefly, that's sat on my desk). It's a real pain as I use my Laptop as something of a portable TV (I work long night shifts and need help staying awake!) as well as a PC... My Music Backup in particular is sat on DVD because I can't rip it to the PC or the MY Book I use for storage.

I put in a DVD or CD into the drive, and then the drive will start to read, and a green bar will work it's way from left to right (if I'm looking at the My Computer window) across the top of the window which shows it's trying to read, then next thing you know it's stalling a fraction from the end. It looks like it's trying to read the disk but failing, or skipping and I can hear the drive jumping as it tries to read. But this happens on both new systems that have independently installed OSs....

Are there any known problems of this type, and/or is there a solution to resolve it?

I'm using Vista Home Premium (32bit) on both my laptop and my desktop, and both are experiencing similar problems. Both OSs were installed from different sources/companies for different hardware I upgraded to, so I'm at a loss on how to do the very basic things like read backup files and watch a DVD! Both are good PCs, one's a dual core laptop with 2G RAM and a GF7600, whilst the desktop's a Quad Core with 4G RAM and a 8800GTS.

Any advice'd be greatly appreciated....

22gbloodangel, Jan 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. 22gbloodangel

WAW8

There have been some recent Windows Updates addressing the problem Vista has had reading really large files -- but those have focused on Vista hanging on computing the time required. This doesn't sound like your problem.

After you insert a DVD, cancel out of autoload, and see if you can use Windows Explorer to open the DVD. If that works, see if you can browse through the files. If that works, try to copy one or more files to your hard drive. If you get an error on that, let us know the error code(s).

Do you know if the optical drive is a PATA interface or a SATA interface? There have been reports of some of the newer optical drives with SATA interfaces behaving just like your drives.

WAW8, Jan 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question