Unable to move Outlook Express messages from WinXP PC to Vista PC

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Nick T., Feb 6, 2007.

1. Nick T.

Nick T.

In the past when upgrading from one Windows version to another with a clean install, or to a new PC I've done the following with success:

On the old PC: copy the *.dbx files to a removable drive.

On the new PC copy the *.dbx files to the appropriate location on the new system.

Vista does not appear to save mail folders and mail as .dbx files - - I cannot find any on the Vista machine.

I've tried the following with no success:

1) On the Vista PC in Windows Mail selected File, Import, Messages... then browse to the removable drive with the .dbx files. It tells me that no messages can be found.

2) On the WinXP PC in Outlook Express selected File, Export, Messages... and it tells me that an error occurred while initializing MAPI.

3) On the WinXP PC I ran Easy Transfer from the Vista disc, but I couldn’t find any reference to Outlook Express or mail messages. After having spent a couple of days setting up Vista the way I want it I’m afraid that Easy Transfer will screw up my customizing.

I sure would appreciate any help or advice that you can give me.

BTW, I had no problem transferring the accounts info (.iaf) and address book (.wab) files.

Thanks,

-Nick

Nick T., Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Nick T.

Nick T.

My own solution to my problem - -

Installed Mozilla Thunderbird on both machines. On the WinXP box I imported the messages and settings from Outlook Express, then copied them to a removable drive. Copied the messages from the removable drive to Thunderbird on the Vista.

After playing with Thunderbird a little it appears to better suit my needs than Outlook Express, so it'll become my default mail program. A big thumbs-up for Firefox and Thunderbird!

Nick T., Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Nick T.

Tha*Lunat!k

I would probably use Thunderbird over Outlook Express, though after going from traditional MS Outlook to Thunderbird I eventually went back to MS Outlook.

That being said, I don't understand why Microsoft has made it so difficult to transfer everything in your current Outlook (or OE) to another computer or upgraded OS upon installing the program again. Without using third-party apps it seems impossible to just transfer your account settings, filters, messages, etc.

Tha*Lunat!k, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Nick T.

blackhat

use a dbx converter. (use google to find one)

the next time you do this. copy all the mails to a folder

blackhat, Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question