Unable to load operating system:

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by j12345, Dec 5, 2009.

1. j12345

j12345

I have a few questions but first let me explain my situation.

i was at college the other day when yet again my laptop froze, in my frustration i hit it a couple of times,> then it went beeeep, and i had to shut down manually.

when i turned it on it tried to restore load files but it was uncessfull and shut down. it done this a couple of times but now i just get "Unable to load operating system" on a black background after the boot options.

i have the vista recovery disk but the first option "Please select the item you want to install and click on [Next>]." which i can select windows vista from. is scaring me because i CANNOT lose the data on my harddrive.

i bought a sata 2.5 external case. i was gonna plug it into my sisters machine(xp) and copy all the files over. but it does not show up in my computer, nor does it load automaticly, which is weird as it is plug and play. i have also tried on my mums computer(vista) but it has the same result (Nothing). it does connect know as there is a option to safely remove hardware ( mass storage device)

My first and most Important question is what is the best way for me to restore my computer without loseing the files on my hardrive.

second is how do i get it to show up when pluged into antoher computer.

third is will the recovery cd wipe my hdd.

It isa toshiba laptop with vista home.

Thanks for taking a look and trying to help.... Jay

j12345, Dec 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. j12345

WAW8

We have a pinned post on how to boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to copy your files to an external drive. Suggest you follow those steps before you do anything else.

Also note that when you hit a laptop while it is running, you run the risk of damaging the hard drive. If you did that, you just might not be able to read it at all.

WAW8, Dec 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question