Unable to install BitLocker, and also a ClearCase question

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by VistaUser_07, Dec 11, 2006.

1. VistaUser_07

VistaUser_07

<DIV class=postcolor id=post-24471>Hey All!
    I installed the Vista final release on my computer.
    But now I wanna turn on the BitLocker and I'm having hard time doing so,
    I just can't set the hard-drives to work.
    I reformated them and re-pratitioned them as requested.

Now I have 2 volumes, one is C with the WIndows on it and the other is D (10 gb) and it's empty.
    Both are formated for NTFS.
    I tried to set the D volume from 60GB to 1.5GB and nothing helps.
    The Windows Vista keeps telling me I can't start the BitLocker because of the hard drives (the other parameter with the chip on the BIOS is OK).

I formated and set eveything with the computer managment on the Vista.

Can anyone help me?</DIV><DIV class=postcolor></DIV><DIV class=postcolor>Also, another little question: Do any of you know if there's a version of IBM's Rational ClearCase designed for Windows Vista?</DIV><DIV class=postcolor></DIV><DIV class=postcolor>Thanks!</DIV>

VistaUser_07, Dec 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. VistaUser_07

webscreen

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1__ctl0_ctlTopic__ctl0_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage><DIV class=postcolor id=post-24471>I had the same problem first time round. It is important that you go through the procedure at the bottom of this post before you install the OS. If you install, then play around with the partiion sizes I've found Vista to be a bit stubborn! Basically long story short, boot from DVD, go to repair computer &gt; command prompt &gt; diskpart. Create 2 partitions. Create 1st one 1.5GB, make active. Then Create 2nd one (OS parition) to be the remainder. Go back to the install screen (Make sure you don't quit the install process) Install vista on the Large partition. Once you are in, bitlocker should allow you to proceed.</DIV><DIV class=postcolor></DIV><DIV class=postcolor>One more gotcha you should look for: If you don't have a TPM motherboard and you wan't to use a USB key only bitlocker will complain that you can't proceed without TPM. Don't be disheartenend, there is a local policy to allow you pass this screen. From memory.... type gpedit.msc from the run (ahem) prompt. Go to computer configuration &gt; administrative templates &gt; security &gt; Bitlocker.... (if it's not here, it's somewhere around here, have a look) . Double click this entry and you will see a setting that says tick me to not require TPM. Apply then quit. You should now be free to continue as planned. </DIV><DIV class=postcolor></DIV><DIV class=postcolor>Hope this helps you.</DIV><DIV class=postcolor><TABLE class=numberedList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" onclick=""><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

</TD></TR><TR class="" id=eCEFF style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=top><TD class=dropCapQ noWrap align=right></TD><TD><TABLE name="tiba"><TBODY><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">1. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

Start the computer from the WindowsVista product DVD.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">2. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

In the initial Install Windows screen, choose your Installation language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard layout, and then click Next.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">3. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

In the next Install Windows screen, click System Recovery Options, located in the lower left of the screen. </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">4. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose your keyboard layout, and then click Next.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">5. </TD

webscreen, Dec 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question