Unable to do a system restore.

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by damuzek, Sep 18, 2009.

1. damuzek

damuzek

Hello to everyone,

I have been trying to do a system restore because, I'm unable to run any security scan with McAfee, Ad Aware, Windows Defender orWindows live onecare,they start then the computer just shuts off moments later.

After trying to do a system restore of multiple dates, the computer re-starts anda pop-up window appears saying:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

("System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and setting were not changed.

Details:

There was a disk failure during the restore.")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit.

Also, the problem seemed to start after running a scan with "Registry Mechanic". I've since uninstalled it but problem still continues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

damuzek, Sep 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. damuzek

WAW8

About the worst thing you can to is run one of the third-party registry cleaners. I've see countless situations where they render the computer unusable afterward.

You original problem indicated the possibility of some kind of malware, so it could have already corrupted some system files, rendering restore impossible.

Suggest the following:

1) Google for Avira Rescue CD. It's a free antivirus product you can download and burn to a CD. Boot from that and do a complete scan of your computer.

2) If you can boot into safemode, to that, open an elevated command prompt (by typing cmd into the start area and then pressing Ctlr-Shift-Enter) and enter the command "sfsc /scannow". That will scan your system files, identify any missing or corrupt, and attempt to replace them.

3) If you have a Vista DVD, boot from it and run Startup Repair repeatedly until it finds no problems.

WAW8, Sep 19, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. damuzek

damuzek

WAW8, thanks for your reply.

Sorry for my delayed response. I downloaded "Avira Rescue CD", but could not burn to CD. My Nero 9,Realplayer,Windows media player and Roxio, ALL say NO CD Burner located or to install nero burnrights.

Now, as for the second option in safe mode it came back with no problems detected.

The third option, I am unable to locate the vista DVD which I believe came with my computer, but not sure. So can't try that option.

I will keep trying to figure out the CD burning problemand locate the Vista DVD.Also, when burning the Avira Rescue CD program, can I use a CD-R or does it have to be a different kind?

I'm not at all computer savvy and slowly learning as I go.

If you have any otherideas I may try please list them or need information regarding my computer please ask. If I am able/unable to solve this problem I will comment.

Another note, which may not be for this thread but began with the aboveproblem. I get the "blue screen of death" as others have described it (only sometimes this happens). Also, I get redirected to other sites while using Yahoo browser and not google browser,don't know if it's related, but started to happen around the same time.

Still checking other sites for possible solutions as well.

Again, Thank You WAW8 for your time and support.

Thanks,

Steve

damuzek, Sep 21, 2009
  4. damuzek

WAW8

The Avira Rescue CD is a CD ISO, so you can burn it to a CD.

The redirection is typical of malware but then, I don't use Yahoo, so I don't know what kind of redirection arrangement it's made with its partners. It may just be innocent partner site redirecting.

If you go to the NeoSmart Forums, you will find some links for the Vista Repair CD (if they still have them -- they take them down when the site gets swamped). You can burn that and boot using it to do Startup Repair. If a CD came with your machine (presuming Vista was preinstalled), it's most probably a System Recovery CD, meaning that it will wipe your drive and reinstall from scratch -- not something I'd do at this point.

WAW8, Sep 21, 2009
  5. damuzek

damuzek

OK, I can now create a new system restore point. I had to turn off then on the system restore as mentioned in the "Windows Help and Support", when clicking on the start tab. I think it was a BADidea because it erased all earlier restore points and now just left my computer withit's problems.

As for burning, My Windows Media Player will now burn except the Avirarescue CD Image. Don't know why it can burn now, but none of my other burning applications show a CD Burner installed on my computer. ??

I deleted the download of Avira Rescue Cd since it did not burn.

Also, I can no longer visit any web sites and still can not get any security scans to finish, they either freeze or reboot my computer.(on another computer right now)

Going to start new threads as for my other problems since this one was for "system restore point".

Thank You, WAW8 for your help and advice.

damuzek, Oct 1, 2009
  6. damuzek

WAW8

You really need to run an AV product on your machine. The Avira image is an ISO that burns to a CD, so I don't know why your machine couldn't burn it -- but I've used it in the past and highly recommend it.

As a second option, the new Microsoft Security Essentials free AV product is now available for download from MS. You could Google for that, and IF it installs, it might just clean up the PC. It might install because, being a new product, malware might not yet know how to block its installation.

WAW8, Oct 1, 2009
  7. damuzek

damuzek

I was able to install the "Microsoft Windows Essentials", and run a full scan which removed a few malware and viruses. I then installed "Avira AntiVir Personal" free antivirus, which also removed a few more.

I can search the web with no problems and my burning applications now show burning devices installed on my computer, everything seems to be working fine.

I downloaded the "Avira Rescue CD ISO" again, (saved it because I can't burn it from theweb site), burned it using Nero 9 to a CD-R as data, but still unable to boot it. I followed the steps in the "Avira Support Forum" under "Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD" by:johnyjohn, but for some reason it will not show as an option in the boot menu (F12 at start-up) as shown or boot at all, and my computer doesn't come with floppy disk option so there's nothing to disable.

I would really like to try the Rescue CD to see what other if any problems my computer has, so I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

damuzek, Oct 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question