Unable to connect to Visa Ultimate in Workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by hvrossum, May 13, 2007.

1. hvrossum

hvrossum

HI,

I have a workgoup with several XP machines and one Vista Ultimate station.

I am trying to connect to my shares on the Vista station, howver without luck.

I get the not accessible message, you might not have permissions etc

I already installed the IPV6 layer on my XP machine, stopped all firewall instances, and stoped UAC (user access control)

However still not possible to connect, I tried it from the other xp machines, same result.

What should I do, or is it better to set up the ultimate machine as domain controller, (how should I do this)

Thanks for your help

Harry

hvrossum, May 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. hvrossum

Walker

Have you added the user names to log on to the shares and set up their permissions?

I believe you can't make a non-server pc a domain controller.... correct me if i'm wrong

Walker, May 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. hvrossum

hvrossum

Hi,

How do I this. When I check the users which should be able to connect I can only see users which are know on the Vista machine (vista\user)

I enabled the guest account but no luck.

When I want to add users and want check other locations (ie the other computers in my network) I can't find any.

What am I doing wrong here. I am still a pretty newbie on this.

The XP pc all have their own users but do belong to the same workgroup. Should I have the users bevalidated at the Vista machine when they start up their PC's How do I this?

thanks for any help in advance.

Harry

hvrossum, May 14, 2007
  4. hvrossum

WAW8

Sounds like what you're trying to do is what is called "simple file sharing". This was relatively simple to do on XP. You enabled file sharing, selected a folder (or even a volume), provided it a share name, indicated if others could change the files, clicked apply, and you were done. You could then connect over a network, to machines in the same workgroup, without having to login.

Vista is not that simple. For an explanation from MS, see the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx

I've tried this repeatedly myself and haven't been able to find a way to access shares on the Vista machine without entering a username and password. Perhaps the statement on the "sharing" tab that says "People must have a user account and password for this computer ..." is an indication that "simple file sharing" can't be done anymore.

WAW8, May 16, 2007
  5. hvrossum

hvrossum

Thanks for the link.

It was the fact that even though I had same users defined on both machines I had forgotten to give them a password. This blocked the access.

Thanks, up to the next step in Vista installation, (printers and stuff with not vista available drivers)

hvrossum, May 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question