Tutorial: How to recover windows vista after shrinking partition with gParted.

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by pikachi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. pikachi

pikachi

I recently shrunk my vista partition with gparted, and after it was finished windows wouldn't boot - it just continually rebooted. I was stuck, and didn't know what to do.
    The recovery CD I had could not find my vista partition, so there was no way to I figured out a way to fix this - it does require the vista recovery cd, so if you don't have it, you can download it from Neosmart technologies, then burn it to a disc.

This does require basic use of command prompt, but I will assume you know how to use it.

Step 1: Boot into the recovery cd. This will take a few minutes, so be patient. Navigate through and once you get to the repair screen, select command prompt. (If you need help with this I'll try and provide it on request).

Step 2: Type in 'diskpart' (without quotes) wait for this to load and accept any UAC prompts that may come up.

We now need to navigate to the vista partition within diskpart - what we are going to do is make the vista partition active again.

Step 3: Type in 'list disk' (without quotes). Look at the list and choose which disk is the disk with the vista partition on. Then type in 'select disk #' (without quotes), replacing # with the number of the disk in the list - eg. 'select disk 0'.
    It will say 'Disk # is now the selected disk'.

Step 4:We now need to select the partition, so you go through basically the same process as before. Type in 'list partition' - a list similar to the one in the previous step. Then type in 'select partition #' (without quotes), replacing # with the partition number. It is probably the second partition - so 'select partition 2'.
    It will say 'Partition # is now the selected partition'.

Step 5: Finally, we need to mark the partition as active. Just type 'active' (without quotes). It will then say 'Diskpart marked the partition as active'.

Were we able to boot into vista, we could simply do all of this using disk management, but we aren't, so we can't.

After this, you should be able to use the recovery disk to repair the installation, and vista should again be bootable.

Hope I've helped if anyone has had this issue.

Thanks, Pikachi

pikachi, Feb 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. pikachi

WAW8

Don't know why on earth you would use GParted on Vista ...

The Ubuntu forums, for example, are chock full of warnings NOT to use GParted on Vista or Win7 OS partitions -- for just the reasons you mentioned.

It's generally a bad idea to use Linux-compatible utilities on MS Windows filesystems. You would have done better using Partition Wizard or EASEUS Partition Master -- both of which are free and compatible with Vista and Win 7.

WAW8, Feb 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. pikachi

pikachi

Yes, I know that - but, in case you didn't know, and did use gparted, this is how to fix it!

pikachi, Feb 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question