Trying to install sp1 and eventually sp2 beta - problems?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by diewas, Dec 5, 2008.

1. diewas

diewas

Hi. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on my Dell dimension 3100, with 2gb ram and a Geforce 6200 graphics card.

I have tried to find out whether i am running Service pack 1, and went on "winver". (Attatched is the screenshot). it does not mention serivce pack 1 so therefore I can conclude that it is not installed. I checked in windows updates history - turns out it had tried to install but had failed, quoting error code 8024200D.

Anyway, tried an alternative approach and downloaded the standalone package, ran it. All was fine. It rebooted the system, yet did not say configuring updates. Hmmmmm. Anyway, loaded up into the desktop and a a popup appears saying Sp1 has been successfully installed. No signs of it in the system part of the control panel or in the "winver".

I have repeated the installation 3 times, all with the same results. I went onto the microsoft website about pre updates. I downloaded all updates that i needed but they all said that they did not apply to my system - i have run out of ideas!!!

Please, please can someone help me - I'm at my wits end! Thanks.

diewas, Dec 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. diewas

WAW8

I admire your desire to "live dangerously", that is, force updates onto your machine without (I presume) having any backups available to fix your machine when it crashes...

Vista SP1 was designed (eventually, only after reported crashes of LOTS of machines) to NOT install through Windows Updates if it detected a driver conflict. That's most probably the reason it has not showed up in your available updates list.

When you downloaded and ran the standlone, you effectively bypassed this failsafe. If your machine is hosed now, you may not be able to remove SP1. If that's the case, again presuming you've made no backups, you would have to do a Dell-based recovery to get a working machine back. And THAT will wipe out everything on your machine since you opened it.

Since you are mentioning the SP2 beta, I'm guessing that you want to continue this high-risk activity by loading yet another set of updates -- once again, without any way to recovery your machine should it fail.

I'm mentioning all of these because, all to often, we get folks that love to experiment like this, and then come here in a panic when there's no simple one-click-restore function they can use to get their machines back in working order.

MY experience with the SP1 update is that it took HOURS to perform, not only during the download and preconfig, but afterwards as well, when the "installing updates" rotating widget sat there on the aurora background screen for a LONG time.

Your not getting an indication that SP1 is your current version is a very bad sign. Unless you can remove the update (and sometimes you can simply remove it through Windows Updates), only a Dell-system-recovery is going to get your machine working again.

WAW8, Dec 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question