trouble starting computer

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Tinman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Tinman

Tinman

ok all any ideas for this problem? i recently built this pc (specs below) and when i press button to power up the computer it hangs BEFORE the beep. it makes asound that sounds like maybe the cpu fan or the hd spinning and does not boot. i can hold the power button in and restart it and it starts fine then. it seems to do this about 25% of times i boot computer. funny thing is a friend of mine built the same rig using a different cpu fan and a cheaper video card and has the same problem. i am guessing it is the mob as they are our common link between the 2 pcs. any suggestions? if it is a bios update plz direct me to some instructions on doing this as i have not done that before. tia

Tinman, Feb 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Tinman

WAW8

Please don't take this as a criticism, but we have our hands full here troubleshooting problems with Vista. If your machine doesn't even boot to an OS, the list of possible problems, almost certainly hardware at this point, is nearly endless. It could be memory. It could be poorly seated CPU chip. It could be any number of BIOS settings.

As to BIOS updating, the different mobo manufacturers provide different tools for doing this. This is documented in the manuals that come with the mobo.

My suggestion as a starting point is to check the ASUS support boards for your model motherboard. I frequent their forum for my mobo and there are lots of questions, and troubleshooting advice, to step you through BIOS and hardware checking to get your system up.

Again, sorry, but we don't have the resourced to take on PC troubleshooting from the ground up.

WAW8, Feb 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Tinman

Tinman

it does boot and then runs flawlessly....i just have this issue as stated above on occasion. it seems like if it was a hardware problem it would do it all the time. and it does the same thing on another similar (friends) computer as well. i'm wondering if its something in the startup files maybe. does any1 else have this mob and maybe having similar probs??

Tinman, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Tinman

Tinman

thanks waw, i did find this tidbit at asus forums....gonna try this.:p

<TABLE height=170 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=15><SPAN class=download-time>[​IMG] <A name=20080124103943671></A><SPAN id=DgrdView1_DataGrid1__ctl6_LblPosted1_Label1>Posted</SPAN>:1/24/2008 10:40:00 AM </SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>

<SPAN class=content>I had the exact problems that everyone talks about, no post, just fans and lights. I would have to hit the reset button to get it to boot. I posted about my boot p5k3 deluxe problem back in October when my system was just built. I got a lot of feedback on what it could be including power supply, video card, and even memory incompatability and board issues. recently I also started to get the overclock error when it wouldn't boot. finally i talked to my system administrator at work and he said to try and set the timings for my Corsair DDR 3 Dimms (1 GB x 2) manually in BIOS, to the factory settings of 7-7-7-21. Lo and behold after 4 months of annoying inconsistent boots it is fixed!!</SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tinman, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Tinman

WAW8

A problem that plagued me was the use of a new Antec PSU. I've been buying them for years but then within the last year, I started having my system refuse to power up. No lignts. No fans. Just silence. I replaced the Antec 350 with an Antec 550, and all was fine for a few months. Then, the same problems again . I replaced the Antec 550 with a different brand -- and have had no problems since. When I scoured the ASUS forum, I found LOTS of other posts of exactly the same problems -- and always, with Antec PSUs.

WAW8, Feb 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question