Trouble opening and saving files

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Leigh, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Can anybody help a newbie please?

I have had my laptop for about 5 years with Windows Vista. I have had no issues with it until the last couple of months, when it has started taking 3 or 4 attempts to open a file in Word. I keep getting a message saying: “Windows cannot find [file name]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.” The file does eventually open, but as I say it takes about 3 or 4 attempts.

I also occasionally have an issue when I am in a document and try to save it as I go along – it insists on me saving it as a new document (so doing “Save As” rather than just “Save,” if that makes sense). So I save it as a new document and delete the old one to avoid duplication, but don’t understand why it makes me do this!

The laptop is also performing slower these days, though I appreciate that is probably down to its age.

I have tried defragging the laptop, but the issues are still occurring.

Anyone got any solutions that are less drastic than purchasing a new laptop?

Leigh, Sep 23, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Leigh

Olde Farte

Hello from Olde Farte,

What do I know ?. I know that a one legged duck swims in circles. !.

Registry would be my first suspect with your problem.

Find Wise Disk Cleaner and more importantly, Wise Registry Cleaner. Install both and let them do their thing.

I take it that you are using Microsoft Office. Perhaps consider Open Office 4.1. Does the same as MS Office and gives a bit more flexibility.

Some registry cleaners are rubbish though. Look at all the reviews first. The only other registry cleaners I trust are Ccleaner and Bluesprig Jet Clean. All of these I have mentioned are freeware.

Good luck,

Olde Farte.

Olde Farte, Sep 23, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Leigh

Leigh

Thanks for the suggestions Olde Farte (love your username).

Leigh, Sep 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question