Transferring movie from DVD-RW to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JT243, Mar 21, 2009.

1. JT243

JT243

Istruggled for a long time to be able to create a dvd of pictures and video that would play on my dvd player.
    I finally was directed to an open source program "DVD Flick" that accomplished my goal. However, because of all the trial and error attempts I was wasting too many DVD-R's, so I ended up burning my successful project to a DVD-RW.
    So now that I'm happy with the finished movie, I want to preserve it on a DVD-R. I attempted to just burn the saved "converted" file from my video folder to a brand new DVD-R inserted in the E drive, but after it was done burning, it would not play in the dvd player.
    Then I tried uploading the completed project (on the DVD-RW) back into a folder and then re-burning it from there to a new DVD-R.........but it wouldn't allow me to do this??
    What is the simplest way to get my finished (encoded) movie from my DVD-RW to a DVD-R?

Also, would I be better to record another movie project ( jpegs + mpegs) on the same DVD-R, and will a dvd player recognize them as separate projects? Or is that a waste of DVD-R's and maybe I should just burn them to CD-R's? What's the difference, other than price and available space?

Thank you

JT243, Mar 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. JT243

WAW8

If your questions are about using "DVD Flick", can't help you -- don't use that.

As to the "simplest way", do a "disk copy" from the original DVD to the target DVD. If you have two drives, you might be able to do this without creating an interim cache of files on your PC. With only one drive, you will be forced into creating temporary files on disk -- so be sure to choose a partition that has enough room to store a full DVD and then some.

As to the format, I always use DVD+R and have never had a problem reading those on any DVD players. I don't know for sure that DVD-R won't work, but when the local PC supply store has a huge sale on DVD media, they always have stacks and stacks of DVD-Rs and virtually no DVD+Rs 2which tells me that, for whatever reason, folks aren't buying DVD-Rs.

As to separate projects, that really depends on the software you use and how it writes that to the DVD. I burn DVDs from my VideoCam (an inexpensive little Sony), but Sony provides some really cool software to do that, as well as creating DVDs, complete with chapters, menus, and the like.

Tried using the built-in Vista product, and like so many other built-in products, it sucked big time! IT took hours and hours to create a DVD, and when done, it was all but useless.

WAW8, Mar 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. JT243

JT243

Thank you for your help.

I guess a better explanation of what I'm trying to do would make more sense.

I'm using Vista Home Premium and within that program, Movie Maker, to create a video of my jpegs and mpegs that can be played on any dvd player.

I was orginally creating the "movie" and when it was completed I burned it to a cd-r, that would not play properly on my dvd player. I then burned the same movie onto a dvd-r and again it would not play at all, or would play the videos and jpegs out of order on the dvd player.

I ended up ruining quite a few cd's and dvds trying to get one that would play on the dvd player (because of course after a burnt them I couldn't overwrite).

So I finally got smart and purchased dvd-rw's so I could erase my mistakes and start over. About the same time I was advised that my finished project (movie maker) had to be converted into a dvd format using this DVD Flick program.So after running the project through Flick I burnt it to a dvd-rw and popped it into the dvd player..........and what do you know, it played.

So now that I have a format that my dvd player will recognize, I wanted to transfer it onto a more permanent dvd-r (or cd-r) and erase the dvd-rw for another use. Trouble is, that the "saved" project that was already converted, once it was burned to a dvd-r would again not play in the dvd player.

And I just wondered if there was an easier way to get the "converted" version of the movie onto a dvd-r, other than doing the entire project over again (including conversion) and then burning it to a dvd-r.

The other half of my question was, that since this whole project is only 13:00 minutes long, it seemed a waste to take up a whole dvd-r with that one thing, so could I fit more than one separate project on that dvd-r before I closed it?

Thanks again

JT243, Mar 21, 2009
  4. JT243

WAW8

Already answered that -- do a disk copy. You will probably need a disk burning program to do that. Google for ImgBurn. It's free and it works. You lauch the program, select disk copy, load the original DVD, and the program will do the rest.

Already answered that -- depends on what the DVD creation software will allow you to do. The ones I use only allow for one project on a DVD. You can have multiple videos in a single project, but only one project.

I think you may confusing projects with sessions. You can burn multi-session DVDs and CDs, but you can only read them in drives that support that, and I believe the the commercial, standalone DVD players can't handle multi-session media.

Also, some players require that the DVD be "finalized" in order to read it. Again, finalization is an action taken by the media-burning application. CD/DVD machines in PCs can typically read unfinalized media; standalone DVD/CD players typically can not.

WAW8, Mar 22, 2009
  5. JT243

JT243

Thank you.

JT243, Mar 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question