Transferring from one partition to another

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Snake-a-gawea, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Snake-a-gawea

Snake-a-gawea

Hello all,

I finally got around to installing Home Premium on my computer by creating a new partition and installing it on that. So far, so good.

Here's my question: is there any easy way to move files, settings, and anything else necessaryfrom the old partition (C:) to the new one (V:)? Thanks,

Dave

Snake-a-gawea, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Snake-a-gawea

WAW8

Two different answers ...

Files, settings, profiles, can be captured on the XP box using the settings wizard, copied to the Vista partition, and then reinstalled.

Moving programs requires a third-party tool, like alohabob relocator, laplink mover, etc. These actually copy the applications along with their registry settings, from one "machine" to another. I'm not aware of any MS product or feature that does this -- of course! They want you to buy all new versions.

Whatever product you buy, make sure that it actually moves applications, not just settings.

Also realize that not all XP apps work well, or even at all, in Vista. So, if you move a lot of apps, don't be surprised if some of them don't work.

WAW8, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question