Transfering files from old (broken) PC to New?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jeo, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Jeo

Jeo

I have a new PC with a ATA drive connectivity and need to transfer data from my old PC's IDE drive to the new.The problem is my old PC is not working. Even so, I can transfer ordinary files like old jpegs, docs etc, by slaving my old IDE drive to a spare PC's primary IDE drive. Iuse the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable. I can't use the automatic method because the spare PC's master drive belongs to another person's identity. I tried attaching my old drive as a master but that didn't work as XP had to adjust for new hardware, whichmade XP inoperable.

So I have to search for files manually. The problem is how to transfer special files like:-<UL><LI>old emails and email settings</LI><LI>music licences for iTunes, WMP &amp; CD rips</LI><LI>favorites links</LI><LI>any others I have not thought of :)</LI>[/list]
    1. <LI>Where are these located in XP?

</LI><LI>I understand you have to unlicence music files from your old PC to move them to a new one. The problem is since my old PC is broken, I can't do this. I could download new licences, but they will assume I am running these files on two PC's. IS there a way around this other than repairing my old PC.</LI>

Thanks for any advice offered.

Jeo, Jan 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jeo

TimeRanger

I was in pretty much the same situation. HD had CRASHED, so I bought a new machine....found out the drives were different.....IDE and SATA. I obtained an adapter cable (with power supply) that allowed me to connect the old HD to the new machine via USB, after I set the jumper to CS (cable select). Then I had to "take ownership" of each folder, sub-folder and file. For some reason, some of the files transferred to the new drive with no problem, after I took ownership of the folder. With other folders and files, Vista demanded that I take ownership of each file individually. Good Luck

TimeRanger, Jan 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jeo

Jason

As far as outlook is concerned search for .PST files which is your store email. Your favorites should be in your user documents section.

Jason, Jan 19, 2008
  4. Jeo

WAW8

Whenever Vista sees an S-ATA drive and a P-ATA drive in the same machine, it defaults to booting from the P-ATA drive. So, you CAN hook up your old drive in your machine, you just have to go into the BIOS and force it to boot from the S-ATA drive.

WAW8, Jan 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question