Toshiba Satellite won't boot PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Toshiba, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Toshiba

Toshiba

Hi folks

I'm a newbie here (and computers in general) and I am more than sure that this problem has been discussed a million times before but I feel like I tried everything I could find and I could really use some advice.

So here is the story, I got a 3.5 year old Toshiba Satellite running vista home from the factory, recently I installed a reg cleaner and after using it a couple times I noticed that my recycle bin won't highlight the "empty trash" option from the right click menu when there are files in the trash (I could still delete them by opening the folder though), so I looked around and tried to find a solution. I remember nothing worked and one website (don't recall which one) had instructions that involved command prompt, which my dumb ass followed, it told me to reboot and when I did it sad that I had an error and that the installation CD was needed. So i downloaded that and tried running the repair a few times. At first it tried fixing something but now it just runs and asks me if I want to report the problem.

Here is what the details say for the Startup Repair

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 6
    Problem Signature 04: 655368
    Problem Signature 05: NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 06: CorruptFile
    Problem Signature 07: 3221225487
    Problem Signature 08: 1
    Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
    Problem Signature 10: 0
    Os Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Now when I try to boot it will let give the options of booting normally, safe mode, safe mode command prompt etc... but all of them end up in the same place - BSD

Last time I got to disable the auto restart and was able to see the error code which was:
    Technical information :

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried the method described here:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

But no luck, The main concern is my old files as I recall doing a backup but I have no clue where it is. If nothing works I am thinking of upgrading to windows 7 because maybe some of my files will transfer. Could someone please steer me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

Toshiba, Jun 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Toshiba

WAW8

OK, so I know SOME people like reg cleaners -- but I've found ALL of them to be more trouble than they are worth.

If you have the option to upgrade to Win7, I would choose that. Not only will the PC most likely run better, it will overwrite any boot loader stuff present (or missing) and give you back a bootable PC.

If there are any problems, please post them in a Win7 forum, not here. We're trying NOT to turn this into yet another Win 7 forum site.

WAW8, Jun 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Toshiba

Toshiba

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if it seems like I am trying to steer this towards Win 7 but I am just clueless on what to do. Do you know of anyone who upgraded to Win 7 and it kept all the old files?

Thanks

Toshiba

Toshiba, Jun 8, 2011
  4. Toshiba

WAW8

Yes ... me ... and, like so many others, I found out the hard way that a Vista-to-Win7 inplace upgrade was NOT the way to go. While is does keep stuff, that is the problem -- it keeps a lot of stuff that is probably best removed.

While a clean-install is a LOT of work, it really is the best way to go.

My suggestion is to do the following:
    1) Download and install the FREE version of Macrium Reflect on your Vista setup.
    2) Create the Restore CD using the MR option
    3) Image off your Vista setup to an external drive
    4) Use the option to Upgrade from Vista to Win7
    5) Try out Win7 for a while -- couple of weeks would be good. Do NOT supply a Win7 product key when upgrading. This will give you 30 days of usage before you have to activate it.

If everything works OK, then use the option to change the Product Key and activate it.

If you have problems with stuff, plugin the external drive with your MR backup, boot from the MR Restore CD, restore the saved Vista image -- and then write down all the information you need to capture what apps you have installed, the versions, and figure out what you will have to do to reinstall them all from scratch. Also, save off all your personal settings and files. If you use IE, then use the option to export the data to other files -- which you can later import to restore your IE stuff. If you use FireFox, install Mozbackup and use that to export your FF stuff -- which you can later use to import the FF stuff into the new FF install.

WAW8, Jun 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question