Toshiba P105-S6147 will not recognize more than 3GB of RAM

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pave, Aug 7, 2007.

1. pave

pave

Thanks in advance.

I verified that the Memory I bought is correct, and I have the latest BIOS. Vista Home Premium OS.

2 x 2 GB will not boot. 512 x 2 works (OEM) 1GB + 512 works. 2GB + 512 works.Both mem. slots are OK.

Toshiba Tech. (non) Support claims it is a problem with the memory slots, yet both work. The most I can read in Tosh's Diagnostic is 2560, while Window's "system" shows 2038.

Any ideas short of sending it off for war. svce.?

pave, Aug 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. pave

AmericanNightmare

Although many boards "officially" support large amounts of memory often times the chipset limits how well and how much it can truly handle. They are reluctant to tell you this usually however it is often the case. Example the ASUS A8S-X supports 4GB officially but only if you run it single channel b/c of chipset limitations. And even then it does recognize all 4GB only about 3.5.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. pave

pave

Thanks. Yes, it is supposed to support 4GB........ Why the dif. between what the Tosh. Diagnostic shows and what Windows does???? Another glitch that I hope SP1will fix? I didn't mention that the 2x2GB I tried where even from the same mfg. lot number.....don't think I could get much more "paired" than that....LOL

pave, Aug 8, 2007
  4. pave

WAW8

Don't expect SP1 to fix this. I have an ASUS mobo that suffers from the same problem. The limitation is apparently in the design of the chipset; thus, it's not really a problem with Vista. In my case, I can neither use 4GB of memory or 4 memory sticks. The board won't fail, it will just refuse to recognize all the memory and, in the case of 4 sticks, drops from 1T to 2T. Again, nothing that Vista is doing; it's just a poor design of the chipset.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2007
  5. pave

pave

Thank You, Gentlemen.

I was afraid of that, oh well.........just have to settle for 2560 and an orphanned 1GB.

pave, Aug 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question