Time to launch when switching users?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

Why does it take so long to switch users. The monitor goes in sleep mode before it goes to the other users password page.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Michaelvg1

WAW8

How are you switching users? Are you using the Fast User Switching feature? Or are you logging off and then selecting a different account for logging in?

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

Not sure what a Fast User Switch Feature is, but I just select Start, Switch User. OR I use a gadget that I have. Same result. Very slow switch time and the monitor goes to sleep for a second or two and then wakes up with the user sign in screen.

Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

Just read about it. The default is on and programs are not closing so I would imagine I am in tha Fast mode.

Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008
  5. Michaelvg1

WAW8

Yep, Start --> Switch User is the Fast User Switching feature. On my underpowered laptop, that takes about two seconds to do. So, that delay is not unusual. If your machine is hibernating that fast, you need to check your power profiles and see if you can change that timeframe.

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
  6. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

Sorry if I am a newbie at this, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Can you spell it out for me. If my machine defaults to fast user, don't I already have it selected. I can't confirm till I get home, but I imagine it is.

Hibernation settings in seconds?

Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008
  7. Michaelvg1

WAW8

Under Control Panel --> Power Options --> Power Plan it has the time required for the computer to go to sleep. Check to see the timeframe. I have mine set to 20 minutes. That gives it more than enough time to switch users without going to sleep.

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

Perhaps I am not being clear. It's not the computer going to sleep. That is set for 2 hours. It's the monitor that shuts down then turns on again when it sees the computer has finished switching users. It just seems like a long black screen when switching.

Michaelvg1, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Michaelvg1

WAW8

OK, understand. What's your Turn off the Display time set to? Mine is set to 5 minutes. Also, my screen goes black, too -- but it doesn't actually turn off. Is this a desktop or laptop?

WAW8, Feb 21, 2008
  10. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1

It's a desktop. The screen goes black for so long, the lost signal screen from the monitor comes up. It drives me crazy.

Michaelvg1, Feb 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question