thumbnail settings question

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by karkalec, May 3, 2008.

1. karkalec

karkalec

I'm having a problem with thumbnails in a giant folder of video files eating up so much cpu (loading the thumbnails) when I open the folder that it's pretty much unusable--takes 10 minutes to load them, then media player freezes. I have a dual core 2.4 ghz with 3 gigs of ram. What I'm wondering is if there's some way to set thumbnail options for certain types of files or certain folders only. When I selected "always show icons, never thumbnails" (Organize/Folder and search options/view, top option) the problem went away and performance was good. The problem is, that setting affects all files in every folder on the computer, including both hard drives and all types of media. This is a pain for jpegs in particular, to not be able to see what they are.

Is there a way to...

a) set folder options specific to a folder which do not affect other folders

or

b) set thumbnails to load on jpegs but not video files

thanks in advance for helping me solve this annoying problem.

justin

karkalec, May 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. karkalec

WAW8

As far as I know, the answers are -- no and no.

You would think that with videos become more and more the predominant usage of disk space, that the "latest" MS OS would provide special handling, but that's not the case.

Turning off thumbnails is generally the only option.

WAW8, May 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question