Thumbnail previews

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by SicBoay, Jan 2, 2009.

1. SicBoay

SicBoay

HI, Okay first off i tried to search the forum for my problem cause i know its in here somewhere, but I sign in then the search doesnt work, and im not about to sift through 25 hundred or so pages manually,im on dial up.

I've not had to many problems with my vista, except this one i cant figure out.

Thumbnail previews for my folders sometimes use picture files that i did not change,for example, i have a folder that is named cars and that is where i store all my car pics, but then i go to something like say C:\Program files and behold some folders in here are using pics of my cars! why is the cpu using pics that i did not choose to show as a preview. I hope someone can help me or direct me to some help for this problem.

Inspiron 531s

windows vista home premium 32 bit

AMD athlon 64x2 dual core 4400+ 2.30Ghz

2 Gb Ram

SicBoay, Jan 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. SicBoay

WAW8

Well, first off, there aren't 2500 pages or so of posts in this forum, only a little over a hundred -- but I understand -- that's a lot to search. However, even if you HAD done that, you would have discovered, unfortunately, that "thumbnail view" is one of those features that Vista doesn't handle in a reliable fashion.

I've experimented with it, and when it doesn't take FOREVER to generate the thumbnails, it has much the same difficulties you've experienced. So, I've gone to relying on icons instead.

Sorry, but there's no general "cure" for this. You could try changing the view to icon or detail, removing the thumbnail index cache file (in each directory), and the resetting the view to thumbnail. That should regenerate the thumbnails for that directory.

However, the process itself appears to be basically flawed. Evidently, the ability to generate a specific thumbnail is critically dependent on the particular video encoding scheme of each file, and how faithful it was to that scheme. Any minor glitches, and the thumbnail generator fails to work properly. You get the generic "lanscape" picture, or a thumbnail from another file.

Also, there are numerous reports that using other third-party products (such as Paint Shop Pro, or Photoshop, or Nero) which ALSO generate thumbnails, can mess up the registry such that Vista can no longer reliably generate thumbnails.

Maybe "Seven" will "fix" this?

WAW8, Jan 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question