Third 802.11 wireless card. Need to always repair connection. Other computers fine

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by mikem1977, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mikem1977

mikem1977

I have 4 wireless devices in my household-- 2 laptops, a Roku Netflix player, and my desktop PC. The laptops and Roku player never drop the wireless network connection provided by my DLink wireless router. They always work.

My desktop PC runs a fresh install of Windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm on my 3rd brand new PCI wireless card on the desktop in hopes for a stable connection-- a Linksys PCI Rangebooster, a Linksys WMP54G, and now a D-Link card that is in the same family as the D-Link router.

They *all* exhibit the same problem. Every few hours, I need to "Repair" the wireless connection. This does the trick but is quite annoying.

Any ideas?

mikem1977, Jun 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. mikem1977

WAW8

One thing that you didn't replace, which seems always to be the same, is the router. Have you checked to see if it is running the latest firmware -- and if that version is described by D-link as compatible with Vista?

WAW8, Jun 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. mikem1977

mikem1977

The D-Link WBR-2310 runs the latest firmware and is listed as compatible with Vista by D-Link. One of the laptops that works flawlessly runs Vista Home Basic.

I suppose it could be a hardware glitch on the desktop PC.

I wish Vista somehow monitored the connection and then automatically repaired it.

mikem1977, Jun 28, 2008
  4. mikem1977

WAW8

Have you checked the network settings on the failing desktop PC and confirmed that ipv6 and network tuning are both disabled? Have you checked the power settings on the same machine and confirmed that it's not allowed to disable the network card to conserve power? Those are among the more typical networking-related Vista problems.

WAW8, Jun 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question