There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server configuration

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Danny471, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Danny471

Danny471

My internet sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes its really slow.
    When i do windows network diagnostics i get this There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server configuration. windows failed to find the well know host "www/microsoft/com" using DNS. The server may be down. This has been going on after i install a D-LINK router. Can anyone help me please.

Danny471, Oct 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Danny471

WAW8

Well, the website is "www.microsoft.com" -- uses periods, not slashes. So, if you really are entering slashes, no DNS is going to work on that.

As to it sometimes not working, if you're not messing with your router setup, then blame the ISP you're using to access the Internet. Their server assigns your PC an IP address, and THEY provide the DNS boxes.

WAW8, Oct 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Danny471

Danny471

i know the website has periods, it wont let me post links, i just brought a new router, so is the problem with my new router?

Danny471, Oct 5, 2011
  4. Danny471

WAW8

While it COULD be the new router, most routers are initially configured to perform DHCP services, which would automatically assign your PC an IP address when you first connect to the router.

You can check that by opening a command window and enter "ipconfig /all". Under your ethernet adapter section, look for info on IPv4 Address. Also look for info on DNS servers.

Also, if you're NOT getting an IP address, it's most probably because your ISP uses MacAddress filtering to authenticate access (even though most of them DENY this!).

In that case, if you did not do Mac Address aliasing with your old router, then you will have to find out the Mac Address of your old router, and enter that into the proper section of your new router Admin screens, or you will have to contact your ISP and have then change your account Mac Address to match your new router.

WAW8, Oct 6, 2011
  5. Danny471

Danny471

i got a ip address for IPv4 and DNS server.

Danny471, Oct 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question