The Windows Installer service could not be accessed

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tchrin, Dec 23, 2007.

1. tchrin

tchrin

Since I ran a software called "Registry Clean expert v4.56" I can no longer install or
    uninstall any application on mt VISTA Ultimate machine.

I tried everything that was explained in the Microsoft forums, such as:

- running MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER followed with MSIEXEC /REGSERVER

When I run services.msc I notice that the Windows Installer service is set to MANUAL.
    I tried to setup to AUTOMATIC, rebooted the machine, but the problem is still there.

ANyone can help ?

Thanks

Thierry

tchrin, Dec 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tchrin

sysrq

Here is a link to help http://groups.google.com/group/micr...3470b/1d44e604d42dee5e?tvc=1#1d44e604d42dee5e

If link not work: (here is an extract;credits to "The CAT")

Here's the easy steps:

1. Go to your friend's computer with a Windows Vista (Any Version)that has the Windows
    Installer service running correctly and run regedit(Start-Run-Regedit)
    2. Go to the location
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
    3. Right click on this key and select "Export" and save the key to a Flash
    Drive or other.
    4. On your Damaged machine, Run/ Double click saved .reg file (from working machine)and import registry
    settings into damaged Vista computer.
    5.You should be set to resume your normal life.

Some notes:

If you cant get your own reg key from a friend running vista, then you
    could try and use the "clean reg key I used" download here:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/1315653

Note the file is about very small (about 6.7 kb), I named it :123.reg

Take care.

sysrq, Jan 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. tchrin

joep42

Many thanks for your solution - you are the only one that got it right. I found your post and it quickly fixed my problem (my Windows Installer service was no longer installed) by downloading and running your 123.reg file. I had spent nearly 2 hours trolling Microsoft's KB and various forums to no avail. No more error messages (Windows Installer Service could not be accessed....)

The possible culprit it seems to be a free utility I installed a few weeks ago called Vista Start Menu. To bad, it was a nice alternative to Vista's drab Start menu.

Many thanks again.....

Joe :)

joep42, Jan 15, 2008
  4. tchrin

Absinthe

I have this same problem when I'm trying to install iTunes 7.6 on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS. The error message is "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode or if the Windows Installer is not currently installed."

I've tried the 123.reg thing, it doesn't work for me. Every troubleshoot there is does not mention Vista at this point. I've also tried the msiexec /unregister, /regserver solution. Still stuck. Anyone know anything about this?

Absinthe, Jan 23, 2008
  5. tchrin

WAW8

Below is a link to the actual MS KB article that provides step-by-step instructions and a link to download the updated Windows Installer. You may have to Reinstall the Windows Installer:

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346 [/url]

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
  6. tchrin

Absinthe

The problem with reinstalling this is that the Installer isn't compatible with Vista. Vista comes with Installer 4.0.

ALSO, I've noticed that the Installer works when I'm installing 32-bit programs. For example, I can install the 32-bit iTunes, but not the 64-bit one. Another thing is that Windows Explorer stops responding and refreshes every time I explore my x64 Program Files on the disk where my OS is installed. The x86 Program Files works fine, as does the x64 and x86 one on the other local disk... Maybe these are all somehow connected.

Absinthe, Jan 23, 2008
  7. tchrin

WAW8

Sorry...

I saw the references in the article to 64-bit and assumed that it would work for Vista 64-bit, not just for XP 64-bit.

Since then, I've gone to MS to track down the Windows Installer Redistributables and found that (this is a direct quote from MS) "There is no redistributable that installs Windows Installer 4.0. This version of the Windows Installer ships with Windows Vista."

Also, be advised that MS is updating the Windows Installer again for Vista SP1.

So ...

If you're adventurous, you might be able to fix this by restoring the Vista system files to their original state. See the post I pinned about fixing Windows font problems for instructions on how to do this -- and for indications of the risks involved in doing this.

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question