The Mother of all crashes - SEARCH

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by RipVanWinkle, Sep 13, 2007.

1. RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

Toshiba Laptop - Vista OEM

This machine crashes the search function and restarts almost regardless of what I put in the search box. Say I want to look into the C:/ and search for CAT references... crash and restart (just the search function).

This has been getting progressively worse since the machine was out of the box. But has ALWAYS been a problem. Vista autoupdate has kept everything current.

Any thoughts on where or what to look for to stabilize the search function,otherwise all searches, areforced to be manual. :w00t:

RipVanWinkle, Sep 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. RipVanWinkle

cyclic

Is indexing enabled and the proper files excluded, like system files, page files etc; ? not a specific issue I'm just thinking aloud trying to get an inspirational idea for you.

cyclic, Sep 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

OMG!

If I search with the standard search utility... it crashes virtually every time. Looking in C:/ for cat. IF I go into advanced search and do the same thing...it is stable... IT WORKS (no crash).

:hehe: Now I understand... not.

RipVanWinkle, Sep 13, 2007
  4. RipVanWinkle

kingofnexus

Are you able to reinstall vista?

kingofnexus, Sep 13, 2007
  5. RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

King

"Are you able to reinstall vista?"

I was hoping for something less radical.

As long as advanced search works as advertised I am not sure that I care about the other method. OEM restore disk give me the willies. :w00t:

RipVanWinkle, Sep 14, 2007
  6. RipVanWinkle

kingofnexus

Sorry, I hate suggesting reinstallation, but for something thats built into windows which is not working properly it could be the only option.

If you ever feel up to doing it go ahead and reinstall, I dont think I could live without the vista search boxes Ive got so used to them. They speed things up a whole load.

You can use any vista disk to install with, just make sure you use your serial number that is currently in use. The benefit of using the disk that came with your computer is that all drivers are auto installed.

kingofnexus, Sep 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question