Text Files Show Up On Start Screen For No Reason

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by PrimeTimeG, Sep 1, 2009.

1. PrimeTimeG

PrimeTimeG

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I'm having a problem. Here it goes. I noticed a couple of days ago when I booted up my laptop a command prompt window showed up on my startup screen. This never used to happen before. When I use internet explorer, text files show up on my startup screen for each page I visit and my laptop is noticably slower in loading web pages. This seemed to all start when I changed my antivirus, but these things still continued when I uninstalled antivirus. I even did 2 full system scans and a registry cleaning. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

PrimeTimeG, Sep 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. PrimeTimeG

WAW8

I'm almost afraid to ask what you changed your antivirus to! I hope it was NOT something you were being offered only as those are most certainly malware themselves.

What your machine is exibiting is typical of malware infestation. Your best bet at this point would be to use System Restore to put your machine back to a date before you changed antivirus products.

WAW8, Sep 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. PrimeTimeG

PrimeTimeG

No I didn't change it to anything that was offered. I'm using Norton right now. Can I use a malware remover instead of restoring?

PrimeTimeG, Sep 1, 2009
  4. PrimeTimeG

WAW8

Would certainly try running a scan with Norton to see if it finds anything. What version of Norton do you have? (2009 is the latest and the best).

WAW8, Sep 1, 2009
  5. PrimeTimeG

PrimeTimeG

I ran scans with the latest version of Norton, Spybot, and Malwarebytes but the problem still persists.

PrimeTimeG, Sep 2, 2009
  6. PrimeTimeG

WAW8

The command windows is most probably being launched by something embedded in your startup folder. IF you remove that, the problem should vanish.

To figure out what that is, you will need to do the following:

1) Click on the start area, type "msconfig" (without the quotes)

2) When MS CONFIG opens, go to the startup tab

3) Disable all the items in the window

4) Reboot

You will have to run like this now for a while to see if the problem returns. IF it does, it's not a startup item. IF it does not return, it is and you will need to do the following:

1) Relaunch MSCONFIG again

2) Go to the startup tab

3) Enable one item, reboot

4) If the problem returns, the last item you enabled is the culprit. Disable it or remove it.

5) If the problem does not return, go back to step 3) and enable the next item.

6) Keep repeating steps 3 - 5 until the problem returns.

WAW8, Sep 2, 2009
  7. PrimeTimeG

PrimeTimeG

I did as you suggested and I launched internet explorer with everything disabled, but the text files still showed up.

PrimeTimeG, Sep 2, 2009
  8. PrimeTimeG

PrimeTimeG

I think the problem was something is embedded in internet explorer. I'm now using Firefox instead and the problem has gone away. Anyways, thanks for your help.

PrimeTimeG, Sep 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question