Technical question-Upgrading/Downgrading

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ukulele_ninja, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ukulele_ninja

ukulele_ninja

Hi,

My wife recently bought a new Compaq computer that has Vista pre-installed on it. It only has 1 gig of ram and therefore runs really really slow and sluggish. Just to install Microsoft Office 2000 took at least 20 minutes and installing Zune was almost unbearable.

So my question is this: I like the layout of Vista and would like to put it on my laptop which is also a Compaq which has 2gigs of ram and would therefore be a lot better suited for Vista. If I make a recovery disc from my wifes vista could I use that to install vista on mine? And Can I use the install disc that came with my computer (Full XP version, I have reinstalled several times on my pc) to install XP on her computer?

ukulele_ninja, Jul 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ukulele_ninja

AmericanNightmare

First RAM is not the only consideration with Vista more so than with previous versions a good display adapter i.e graphics card or good quality integrated graphics ( personally i don't believe there is such a thing as great integrated graphics but some may disagree) is important as well. Just as important is processor speed and even then a cheaper CPU with a lowbus speedsand/or L2 cache such as a Celeron is not really adequate to run Vista well and by well i mean no sluggishness,at least in my experience. Even though it is say a 2.0GHz Celeron M does not mean Vista will perform up to your expectations without some tweaking. Don't get me wrong Vista runs much better with say 2G of RAM or even1.5 like i have right now but i also have a fairly decent graphics card and an overclocked dual core CPU. As far as installing XP on her computer the chances are better since it is a Compaq as well but there is no way of telling for sure without simply trying it. If they have different chipsets such as yours a VIA and hers Intel or SiS it may not work. Also someOEM disks have more security measures built in to the OS than others to supposedly prevent piracy. I have seen a lot of PC's of all sorts with XP from a Dell OEM disk on them and i alsoknow that the ones that come with eMachines are oftenvery picky as to what computer you can install on. As far as making a recovery disk of Vista i honestly don't know if it will work or not. I have "cloned" XP many times but Vista never. I have heard quite a bit of talk that burned copies are not very reliable even ones burned at low speeds but someone else may know better than i.

Just to let you know of personal experience with Vista installs on computers with slower CPU's and not so good graphics. I did an install last week for someone who insisted they needed Vista on thier PC with a Athlon XP 3000+ which is a 2.16GHz processor but has a very slow bus speed and that coupled with the integrated graphics made for a sluggish OS despite thier having 2G of RAM. I realize your wifes PC is new but i have seen a lot of new supposed "Vista computers" for sale that will not and probably never run it well without some upgrading in graphics and RAM and even processors unless the OS itself is majorly tweaked.

So after that little book i wrote there what processor does your notebook have? Just out of curiosity the new one as well.

* For some reference notice my low Vista Experience Index because of my RAM but the higher scores on the subjects i mentioned above.

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 5.3
    Determined by lowest subscore-<U>4.5</U>

Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB<U>4.5</U>
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 5.9
    Gaming graphics 527 MB Total available graphics memory 5.5
    Primary hard disk 130GB Free (146GB Total) 5.3

AmericanNightmare, Jul 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ukulele_ninja

cyclic

The problem is that the copy of Vista you have is OEM which means it's tied to that one machine, the fact the other one is the same make is of no consequence, you will not be able to activate that copy on any other machine.

If it took 20 minutes to install Office the machine has hardware problems, the drives may be working at a low speed due to damage or wrong configuration, also with on chip graphics whatever make you should turn all Vista's visuals off, even resort to the 'legacy' look to save a massive amount of resources.

Personally I have not experienced any problems burning Vista disks from bought downloaded copies from MS and I have made several 'restore' disks for people with laptops , albeit non has yet been used to actually restore any of them.

cyclic, Jul 15, 2007
  4. ukulele_ninja

AmericanNightmare

Exactly! HARDWARE!! That may have not been cyclics point but i am actually quite perturbed bycompanies selling "Vista PC's" that are not capable of running it or the software such as Office that should be an easy install. Don't get me wrong i love Vista i think is the best thing since sliced breadbut as i stated before what are sold as Vista computers often are lacking to say the least. In my opinion a PC sold as a Vista computer should run it as is without having to tweak or disable anything. I don't blame MS i blame companies such as Gateway, Dell etc. that is why i build my own.

manifesto over......

AmericanNightmare, Jul 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question