Task Manager Problem with Physical Memory

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bjflynn07, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bjflynn07

bjflynn07

I just added 1 GB of memory to my computer bringing my memory up to 1280 according to Vista and after I restarted the computer and everything loaded Inoticed that the Task Manager is showing a different amount of available memory then what the system information is showing. Task Manager was showing that I only had 15 MB of memory free I knew that something was wrong so I went to the system information in the system tools menu and it showed I had 800 MB of memory available. Has this happen to anyone else.

bjflynn07, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bjflynn07

snorbaard

The way Windows Vista works with memory is different to the way previous versions of Windows worked.

In previous versions, Windows would allocate some memory, for itself, and keep the rest "Free", and just allocate as necessary.

Vista, on the other hand, allocates as much memory as it can for its own use, and when any program requests additional memory, Vista will then free the requested memory for the application. Theoretically, it is much better this way, as otherwise the memory is just sitting there unused. Why not use it until another application asks for it?

So looking at the "Free memory" won't be much use, as that only shows how much memory Windows hasn't allocated for its own use. I believe "Free Memory" + "Cached" gives you the amount of memory still available for other applications.

snorbaard, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bjflynn07

BermudaLee

I think it's the way stuff is cached. I have 4GB, Task Manager shows Total of 3,385Mb, Cached 2,399Mb, Free of between 0 and 9. I may be wrong on this, but I think a big lump has been allocated to graphics, dropping the 4GB down to 3.4. After that Vista is busy using the memory not occupied by active programmes as a cache for the hard drive. On another thread you'll see the phrase - you paid for the memory, Vista just makes sure it gets used.

Hope that helps.

BermudaLee, Feb 15, 2007
  4. bjflynn07

bjflynn07

Thank you both for your help.

bjflynn07, Feb 15, 2007
  5. bjflynn07

Jason

If you right click my computer and go to properties it should show the total amount you have under memory. I have 2GB's and it shows like 1800.

Jason, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question