Task manager and Performance monitor..

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by benltey, May 6, 2011.

1. benltey

benltey

I wonder if anyone can help me with something that's been bothering me;

I'm running Vista 32bit home edition and have recently upgraded to 4GB RAM, in the system properties it's displaying as 4GB RAM installed however in the Task manager and performance monitor it displays only 3GB total, I know that these are unable to display more than this but am curious as to whether Vista will still use the available 4GB RAM when required? or is it limited still to what is displayed in the Task manager?

It's really been bugging me since I upgraded as I either have rendundant RAM or it renders Task manager and Performance monitor totally inaccurate.... surely Microsoft could easily work an update for these applications?

Would be grateful for any input :)

Peace out!

benltey, May 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. benltey

clifford_cooley

Hi benltey - Welcome to vistaforums

The 32-bit version of windows can only address 4GB at one time. Other resources are addressed first and then the remainder of the address space is alloted to memory. Task Manager is reporting the correct amount of memory. The rest of your memory can not be addressed because those addresses are used elsewhere. The only way to address all your memory and other hardware, is to go with a higher bit version OS (64-bit).

clifford_cooley, May 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. benltey

benltey

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify things, are you saying that my 4GB RAM is being fully utilised? or is 1GB redundant and I might as well have stuck with the original 3GB?

It seems to be a rather blurry area as I've read a lot already and nothing really seems to make it clear. However my Laptop is running slightly better since installing the extra RAM so I guess it's having some effect.

Thanks again...

benltey, May 6, 2011
  4. benltey

clifford_cooley

That 1GB of addresses is not being used by your memory because the address space(4GB Max in a 32-bit OS) is being used by other resources in the system. The only way to use the last 1GB of memory is to increase the number of addresses the system can use by increasing the number of bits that the OS uses.

clifford_cooley, May 6, 2011
  5. benltey

benltey

Does that mean my extra 1GB RAM upgrade was a waste of time and money?

benltey, May 6, 2011
  6. benltey

clifford_cooley

I can't give answer to a question when the answers maybe based on my opinion.

I'm trying to let you come to that conclusion by telling you, that 1GB of memory is not being used unless you upgrade to a 64-bit version of operating system.

Is the 1GB memory a waste? probably!! Do I think so? No!!

Do you need a 64-bit OS? probably not!! Do I think so? Yes!!

Edit:
    Let me explain. I have been a user of Windows 7 64-bit since the release of Windows 7. I feel everyone that clings onto 32-bit operating systems are only holding back software programmers. If everyone would make the jump to a 64-bit OS, this would allow programmers everywhere to start coding strictly for 64-bit.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
    clifford_cooley, May 7, 2011
  7. benltey

benltey

Ok, thanks for all the info, you do sound like a walking advert for 64bit OS, which is fare enough.
    But I was kinda looking for a simple answer, to what I thought was a relatively simple question, obviously not....

When the time comes I will however be upgrading to 64bit, just being a tight wad at the moment :)

benltey, May 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question