Taking ownership of system files in Vista

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Mohini, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mohini

Mohini

I have tried following the instructions exactly, to take ownership and the takeown command works with "SUCCESS..." but the icacls command does not work. My file system file I want to migrate is like this
    C:Users\Wahwah\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
    so I use command prompt with

C:\Users\Wahwah\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows>takeown/f UsrClass.dat [enter]
    Result:
    Success:the file<or folder>C:\Users\Myself\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat is now owned by user "Wahwah-PC/Wahwah"

Then I put

C:\Users\Wahwah\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows>icacls UsrClass.dat grant/Administrator:f[enter]
    result
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    Sorry for the trouble, I hope someone can help me
    Successfully processed 0 files, Failed processing 1 file(s)

Changing Adminstrator or "Administrators" and changing it to Wahwah and changing to an additional username result in "Invalid parameter". "Administrator:f" works the best but cannot find the file specified.

Is my syntax wrong or is the file somehow hidden or invisible? Do I need to change its permissions to 777? How is that done?

Mohini, Aug 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Mohini

Mokitag

Mokitag, Oct 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question