System Restore

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Pauley, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Pauley

Pauley

I mhave a new computer (Compaq Presario SR5152NX) the cam preloaded with Vista Home Premium. All appeared to be working ok until today. I rebooted the computer and while it was in the process of starting some of the programs, I seen an error message that popped up saying that a file named mswinsck.ocx was either missing or corrupt. I decided to do a system restore and went through the procedure. When the computer rebooted, there was a message saying that system restore was not completed succesfully, and said I should try it again. I tried to bring up system restore once again, but I got the following error message:

System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working.

Is there something I can do to get the Shadow Copy working again?

As everyone says, any help is deeply appreciated.

Paul

Pauley, Oct 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Pauley

cyclic

Start the service.

Go to the 'run' box and type in services.msc press enter, when the list of services appears scroll down until you find 'volume shadow copy' double click to bring up it's properties sheet and press the 'start' to get it running, then in the start type box use the drop down to set it to start 'automatic' so it runs during start up.

That will solve the problem of restore working, but if it's been off for a while there may not be a suitable restore point to get back to.

If the services says it's already running and the only option is to 'stop' it then post back 'cos there's another problem somewhere which needs to be put right.

cyclic, Oct 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Pauley

Pauley

thanks for the reply. I just tried as you suggested and I received the following:

Windows could not start the Volume Shadow Copy on local computer/ For more information, review the System Event Log. Error Code: 2147418113

I am hoping I do not need to re-install Vista.

Thanks so much for your reply again.

Pauley, Oct 13, 2007
  4. Pauley

kingofnexus

I'm not sure whats going on, but that log intrigues me. Type "event viewer" into start menu and press enter. On the right hand side, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "System". The error should be shown on the list. Please post back what it says. It may help to force the error again, so that its easy to find as it will the last thing logged.

ps. i'm no expert on event viewer so if its not there, then it will located somewhere in the event viewer, you'll just have to find it.

kingofnexus, Oct 13, 2007
  5. Pauley

Pauley

OK, I opened did as you asked and here is what it showed:

The Volume Shadow Copy service terminated with service-specific error 2147549183 (Ox8000fff)

Thanks for any help.

Pauley, Oct 13, 2007
  6. Pauley

kingofnexus

Hmm I found an article about a certian build of SQL 2005 messing with the service and causing the error thats displayed. Try downloading the latest version here.

If you have 32bit windows d/l the bottom x86 file. If you have 64bit windows you want to download the middle x64 one.

kingofnexus, Oct 13, 2007
  7. Pauley

Pauley

I'm a little gun shy on installing something I know nothing of. If I do this, will it cause any other problems...?

Pauley, Oct 13, 2007
  8. Pauley

cyclic

From that it makes it sound like you don't have Microsoft SQL server installed already, in which case there would be little point installing it, but if you do have it on your machine then installing the latest version is only going to help sort out some bugs and problems it can cause.

cyclic, Oct 14, 2007
  9. Pauley

Pauley

Here is where I'm lost. I don't know if the SQL server is on my computer or not. Should I go ahead and try to install it?

Pauley, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Pauley

cyclic

So clearly you don't use it and didn't install it, so look in the add\remove panel of control panel to see if it's listed, if so remove, if not then we need to move on 'cos that's not the problem.

Could do really with a full SP on your spec and software\drivers etc; if you can post them.

Download This, HijackThis 1.99.1 (don't be put off by the name it's a good guy not a baddy !) util and run it to produce a whole page or more of info on what's going on in your PC, post it to us either in a posting page or as attachement, these logs will very often show what the causes of problems are, including any malware\virus\adware or other nasties which may be interfering with normal service.

cyclic, Oct 14, 2007
  11. Pauley

kingofnexus

Yeah if you dont have it you shouldn't bother. I just saw this

kingofnexus, Oct 14, 2007
  12. Pauley

Pauley

Ok, first, the I did not find the SQL on my computer in the Control Panel. Second, I downloaded HiJackThis and when I ran it, I got this message:

For some reason your system denied access to the host file. If any hijacked files are in this file, Hijak This may not be able to fix this.

If this happens, ypou need to find the file yourself. To do this Click Start, Run and type: C:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and press ENTER. Find the lines HijackThis ReportS and delete them. Save the file as hosts (with quotes) and reboot.

I did as instructed, however, when the hosts file opened, the only thing inside was this...(This is the entire hosts file)

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost

After I clicked OK on the first HijackThis error message, I then got this one...

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item()

Error #75 - Path/File access error

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:

* What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable

* How you can reproduce the error

* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 6.00.1904

MSIE version: 7.0.6000.16546

HijackThis version: 1.99.1

This message has been copied to your clipboard.

Click OK to continue the rest of the scan.

I continued with the rest of the scan and here is the results....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 9:09:10 AM, on 10/14/2007

Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.00.1904)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16546)

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0\avp.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe

C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe

C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME\TomTomHOME.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe

C:\Program Files\WWW File Share Pro\WWWFileSharePro.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\GV250\Wakeup.exe

C:\Program Files\SpamButcher\spambutcher.exe

C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\ImApp.exe

C:\GV250\GV250.exe

C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe

C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe

C:\GV250\PlaySoundSvr.exe

C:\GV250\DmHealthSvr.exe

C:\GV250\DMMailServer.exe

C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe

C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe

C:\Program Files\Vista Start Menu\VistaStartMenu.exe

C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\RAPAUT\RapAut.exe

C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

C:\Program Files\

Pauley, Oct 14, 2007
  13. Pauley

cyclic

The most important part of this log is that the host file denied access, also I note that several system files are noted as missing, I think you got some serious corruption in there

squire, but there is good news, this paragraph

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
    * What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
    * How you can reproduce the error
    * A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Is not included as standard, if you get this invite, take it up 'cos this guy really knows what he's doing, he will reply with a list of things for you to uninstall, delete or stop from running, I would bet he also recommends a full system file check since there are system files missing. I note that 2 of the files missing are ones required by other services to function correctly, not least of which shadow copy and system restore.

I don't mind admitting these logs are usually fairly simple to find the problems with, this is more complex and for certain merjin will know the answers very quickly whilst it would take me a while to cross reference everything to make sure I wasn't getting you into a worse fix, so please take his offer and you should be all ok within a short space of time.

I would be grateful if you let me know how you get on, if it's alright with you, post or PM in this instance.

Good luck.

cyclic, Oct 14, 2007
  14. Pauley

Pauley

I just sent an e-mail synopsis of the problem to him and I will definitely let you know what happens. Thanks so much and I will report back here as soon as possible.

Pauley, Oct 14, 2007
  15. Pauley

Pauley

Well, I guess I'm right back where I started from. I sent the e-mail, however it bounced back to me. So I went to his web site and it was noted that his e-mail address is no longer valid because of spam and spyware. It was also noted that if I had a problem with HijackThis, to please post on the forum. The forum is only in German... nothing that I could find for English...

Pauley, Oct 14, 2007
  16. Pauley

Pauley

Well, just to let you know how I made out with system restores. I finally bit the bullet and did a System Repair. However, when I started System repair, it asked if I would like to do a System Restore, I figured... ok, one last time! I clicked on it and it began doing a system restore. It went through the entire process, but when it was finished, it said it encountered a problem and could not do the restore. I got disgusted and just went ahead and did the System Repair (fortunately, I DID do a back up when I got the computer.) Completed the System Repair and all is well once again. Actually, it seems to be working even better.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know how I made out. Wish there was an easier solution, but it appears this was the best route to fix my problem.

Oh, one other thing that had happened before I did the System Repair. I started getting "Automation Error The Library is not registered" This happened with some of the software I use daily.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

Pauley, Oct 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question