System Restore Point - VISTA Bug Number 1

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by apoorvasheth, Jul 5, 2007.

1. apoorvasheth

apoorvasheth

Hello! My name is Apoorva. I found something wired happening with VISTA Restore point and we can call this as a

BUG.

The incident goes like this:

I have 2 Operating System (OS) installed on my computer:
    Windows VISTA Ultimate & Windows XP SP2.

a)
    I created a System Restore point in Windows VISTA and when I click on System Restore, it does show that the

Restore point has been created.

b)
    Now, when I restart my computer and logon to Windows XP and then, once again restart the computer and when I

come back to Windows VISTA and click on System Restore, it says that "No Restore Point has been created".

So, this means that if I have created a System Restore point in Windows VISTA and then restart the PC and switch

to Windows XP, the restore point in VISTA will be deleted automatically.

Does anybody have any idea about how to resolve this issue?

Awaiting revert...
    Apoorva.

Intel Pentium D 3 Ghz
    ASRock Motherboard with 7.1 Sound Card
    10 USB Ports
    2 G.B. DDR2 RAM
    160 G.B. WDC SATA 2 HDD & 80 G.B. WDC HDD
    5.1 Logitech Speakers
    17inch AOC Flat Monitor
    256 MB NVIDIA Graphics Card (Dedicated)
    Windows XP SP2 & Windows VISTA ( Dual Boot )
    Benq Scanner 640P
    HP D2360 Inkjet Color Printer
    SMC Router ADSL+2

apoorvasheth, Jul 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. apoorvasheth

WAW8

This is not considered a "bug"; this is a side-effect of dual-booting Vista and XP. Every time you boot back into XP, your restore points in Vista will be wiped. This has been reported on various forums for months.

I dual-boot and work around this problem by using Vista to make full image backups to offline storage.

I've seen comments that, if you are able to "hide" the XP partition from Vista, and hide the Vista partition from XP, then this will not happen anymore. But, I'm not aware of any products that will do that "hiding".

WAW8, Jul 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. apoorvasheth

mlee0332

XP is actually what erases it, there is an MVP from the microsoft forums that posted a work around for this.

Not a bug with vista.

Now I DO have a computer with Vista ONLY and my restore points get erased, IDK why, and I have searched, but everyone tells me about the dual boot thing OR that is a new feature of vista when the computer detects that it doesn't have an accurate depiction of the volume, it erases the restore points to keep from writing over accurate data with inaccurate data. I have NO idea how to fix it.

mlee0332, Jul 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question