System Restore never having a restore point

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tevans95, Oct 27, 2010.

1. tevans95

tevans95

I recently ran into an issue where Vista won't boot. It loads but then it freezes. This computer now has a dual boot set up with XP using BCD. Anyway getting to the point, I try to repair the system hoping that system restore would help. It coudn't find a restore point. What is going on? When ever I try and use System restore there is never a restore point. I guess I will also make a post about Vista not booting as well.

Thanks,

Tevans95

tevans95, Oct 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. tevans95

WAW8

It is a well-known problem, but evidently not to you, that dual-booting XP and Vista essentially wipes out the whole Restore Point actions. Whenever you boot into one of the OSs, the Restore Points in the other OS are erased.

The only known solution to this is to "hide" each OS from the other -- but there is no way to do that using the features of the OS and it's not a simple thing to do.

It has to do with incompatibilities between the very different ways that the two OSs handle creating and managing Restore Points.

WAW8, Oct 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. tevans95

tevans95

How come that doesn't happen in the XP instal. Also just about since I have had this computer the System restore has had barely any restore points. Both OS's maintain thier own System Restore (well XP does at least). The Dual boot is a week old so that really isn't the issue.

What are the severices or settings needed for system restore to function properly?

tevans95, Oct 27, 2010
  4. tevans95

WAW8

What happens is that when you boot into XP, it senses that the shadow copy implementation in Vista is incompatible, so it erases all the Vista restore points.

There are no settings or services you can set in XP or in Vista to prevent this from happening.

Same with System Restore. It functions by default unless you turn it off. The only things you can do is change the amount of space allocation and create restore points manually.

WAW8, Oct 27, 2010
  5. tevans95

tevans95

I still don't get how Vista would talk to XP in such a way in which it would delete its own shadow copies. BCD tells the computer to boot from the D drvie (according to Vista) the HDD with Vista then doesn't really do much after that.

tevans95, Oct 27, 2010
  6. tevans95

WAW8

I don't claim to know the details of HOW the corruption happens, I just know for a fact that it does. Before I upgraded to Win7, I was also dual-booting an XP/Vista machine -- and I encountered exactly the same "No restore points in Vista" problem. I did some checking around back then, and what I reported to you is what I found out.

I know you're disappointed and maybe frustrated as well, but you're "beating a dead horse" in continuing this dialog. It has become a "known problem" and there is simply no way to fix it using existing features of XP or Vista.

WAW8, Oct 27, 2010
  7. tevans95

tevans95

Thanks I am just glad that the orignal issue that happened was fixed and the fact I barely use System Restore.

tevans95, Oct 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question