SUPER SLOW FILE TRANSFER SPEED

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by fernandoc, Oct 4, 2007.

1. fernandoc

fernandoc

Im having a hard time copy&pasting, cut&pasting. The speeds vary a lot, its gone up to 25Mbps and down to 25kbps. I dont know whats wrong, or how to fix it. It took me all nigth to transfer 49Gb from a WD USB External HD to my laptop. It also Took me all nigth to burn 1.4Gb of pics to a DVD RW using windows. And some times when im copy/pasting a movie from 1 foler to another it takes a several minutes and other times its a breeze. I tried dissabling Live 1 care, i tried uninstalling it, i tried NOD32, i also tried with it disabled and nothing changes... i still dont find any relation to the hig speeds nor to the low ones. Please help me.

fernandoc, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. fernandoc

kingofnexus

Somethingto dowith transfer speeds was fixed in a windows update, make sure your fully up to date. Also windows own burning software is very erratic, best not to use it at all. If your fully up to date, try turning off the file index and see if that is causing it.

kingofnexus, Oct 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. fernandoc

WAW8

I know it's not much consolation, but I've found Vista to be both a lot slower in external file transfer and also unpredictable -- so, it's not just you. There have been a lot of complaints about external file transfers, but they have focused on Vista taking forever to compute the transfer time duration estimate, not so much the actual transfer. There have been some "performance" updates recently that claim to address this.

Don't know if your laptop has USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports -- makes a LOT of difference. Same is true of the external drive. If you're stuck with USB 1.1 ports on the laptop, and you do a lot of large file transfer, it would be worth investing in one of the USB 2.0 PCMIA cards. That could dramatically speed up the file xfer -- if your external drive also supports USB 2.0 (which most of them do, now).

As to the long time to burn a DVD-RW, what speed did Vista select for the burn? I use Nero most of the time and have it set to Maximum (i.e., 16x) for burning DVDs, but the other day, I used a different app. I was wondering why it was taking so long and noticed the default speed set to 4x in the terminal log. Burning a gig or more at 4x is going to take a long time. Check the default burning speed. I don't use the built-in Vista burning app, so I can't tell you how to do that.

WAW8, Oct 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question