Stuck in Startup Repair loop after System Restore

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by gmmace, May 8, 2010.

1. gmmace

gmmace

I have a two year old Compaq Presario desktop that I purchased with Windows Vista preloaded onto it, the Vista cds did not come with the pc. I was having some issues being unable to see pictures and videos on many different websites that I was able to see before. I just removed McAfee Antivirus and installed Norton Security Suite a couple weeks ago, so I thought that could be the issue. I performed a system restore to an earlier point. When the machine powers up this is what I get:

1. Brief appearance of Compaq screen (esc to boot, f10 for setup, f11 for recovery)

2. Next I see the scrolling green bar with "Microsoft Corporation" underneath it for a few seconds. Just those two things, no Vista logo.

3. Next I get a black and white screen with the options to either launch startup repair, or start windows normally.

If I choose "Launch Startup Repair" it runs for a few minutes and tells me that "windows cannot repair this computer automatically"

If I choose "Start Windows Normally" It just takes me back to step #1 and starts all over again.

When I've run the system restore, it runs for a while and appears to have completed the restore successfully, but then after I reboot, I get #1, #2 and #3 again.

I have also tried running in safe mode, but I get the exact same thing. Also tried running in safe mode with command prompt, but I get the same thing and never get a command prompt.

I have a friend that works for MS, and they give out these cards for a free premium support call and encourage them to give them out to the public. I have that info, but unfortunately, it's Friday evening and the support is only available Monday through Friday. I'm currently working on a 10 year old laptop and slow doesn't even begin to describe it. I'd love to get my pc working before Monday. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

gmmace, May 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. gmmace

WAW8

Sorry I couldn't get to this sooner, but I'm the only one apparently responding to requests and I can only do that part-time ...

I hope by now that you've exercised your support option and got this fixed.

WAW8, May 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question