Strange (To Me) Message On Boot

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Angus MacFootball, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

I'm not sure what I did to cause this,but for the past few days upon booting, between the time the desktop loads and the Sidebar appears, Notepad opens up with the following message:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    [email protected]%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

I just close Notepad and go on about my business; nothing seems affected. But it's as annoying as my ex-wife was when I tried to watch football. Any thoughts, suggestions or solutions?

Angus MacFootball, Jul 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Angus MacFootball

Jason

hah football. Anyways check the system event log and see if anything is flagging. Not posititve how you do it in vista Id have to check, but should be in the start menu somewhere by control panel or in control panel.

Jason, Jul 18, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Well, after several days of alternately searching for the problem and ignoring it, I finally got the bright idea of putting the whole error message into Google; the first hit listed was an MS Knowledge Base article dealing with just this. Turns out all I needed to do was find the desktop.ini file with the offending line and delete it. Boots up without the annoyance now.

Angus MacFootball, Jul 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question