Startup Programs

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by storm, Jul 22, 2007.

1. storm

storm

I've noticed that these programs are listed as Startup Programs: Installshield DevStudio, Cyberlink Powercinema [which I can't find when I search for Cyberlink or Powercinema on my Dell (with Vista) laptop], Quicktime, iTunes, and Adobe Acrobat.

Will it harm my computing efforts if I disable all of these? I have no idea what DevStudio is. All of these programs appear to be running upon startup...

Thank you!

storm, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. storm

kingofnexus

The following are fine to disable, and is a good idea to do so:

DevStudio, quicktime, acrobat, cyberlink.

I tunes i'm not sure as I dont have it. Disable the rest first. Make sure no adverse effects (which ther shouldn't be) then disable itunes. And check to see if that did anything. I doubt it will, and if something does not work properly, all you gotta do i reenable them.

kingofnexus, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. storm

storm

When I try to Disable some of those startup programs (in Windows Defender--->Software Explorer--->Startup Programs) the Disable button remains inactive (button's color stays gray instead of turning black), so I can't do anything that way.

Can I do something from the Registry/Regedit, which I don't know anything about?

storm, Jul 22, 2007
  4. storm

storm

I just noticed on another post that I can do it by [msconfig ---> startup], which I did and it worked! I unchecked iTunes as well, and it seems to not have hurt anything--I update my podcasts manually anyway (if that's something that's possible related to this).

But I also wonder if Windows Explorer and CLIStart.exe need to be within the Startup Programs. I always use Firefox, never IE.

In fact, can I delete IE from my Dell laptop, or is it entangled with other important/crucial files and programs?

Thank you! It's fun to learn more about how I can take control of my computer...

storm, Jul 23, 2007
  5. storm

AmericanNightmare

If it were me i would leave Windows Explorer alone as it isresposible for more than just browsing. As far as IE in and of itself go for it if you can it's one of the few programs in Windows i find pretty much an all around pain in the a**!

* Makes thisgeeks heart happy your having fun it is kinda a kick ain't it?!?!

AmericanNightmare, Jul 23, 2007
  6. storm

kingofnexus

Windows Explorer is windows dont disable that lol! However in msconfig under start up it will list windows explorer 4 times (at least in my case). Scroll right and look at the .exe its trying to run. You'll see that one of htem is sidebar.exe which is obviously windows sidebar. Things like that can be disabled.

As for getting rid of IE I wouldn't advise it. It comes with windows itself, i'd just leave it installed. Remeber type 'defualt programs' and press enter in the start menu. Just associate everything that you dont want IE for to firefox or whatever app you want to take over browsing.

kingofnexus, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question