Startup delay & 100% CPU Frequency

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Unicast, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Unicast

Unicast

Hi,

Wonder if any kind soul might like to help me with a couple of problems that I'm having with Vista.....

The first issue is that Vista hangs for about 1 minute just after it's prepared the desktop before it allowing avast! and msn to run in the system tray. Just after msn / avast are allowed to run the wireless network icon appears in the system tray. I should just clarify, when I say "hangs" the OS doesn't freeze, there's just a minute or so delay before avast and msn are allowed to run - very annoying! I've disabled the onboard wired lan because I thought that it was perhaps trying to obtain an ip by dhcp, but that made no difference.

The other issue is that my Intel Pentium M 1.7Ghz processor seems to be stuck at 100% Maximum Frequency and does't scale back to 600Mhz like it did under XP. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

System....

Dell Latitude D400

1.7Ghz Pentium M processor

1Gb Ram

Intel Pro Wireless Lan 2100 3A miniPci Adapter

Unicast, Jun 18, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Unicast

niffer022

hi fisrt of all welcome...

i dont think you have a problem to be honest mate, i know its very annoying at the min but with vista been in a beta stage still its got few bugs and is abit of a system hog.. mine hangs a little at start up, its a variation of device drivers and all the software loading up.....

so that bit is normal... :)

as for using 100% i dont know what to say really you only have a 1.7 gig processor so maybe it that, thats struggling to keep up and there for pumping more power into it.... ill look into it a little more and get back to you....

apart from that how you finding the program.?? and whats the program your using, the one in the pic...

nathan :)

niffer022, Jun 18, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Unicast

Unicast

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... looks like the hang is probably normal for beta 2, and might get sorted out in RC1 or the final release.

The program in the piccy is got to from Start-->Computer(right-click)-->Manage-->Performance and Diagnostics (under System Tools)

On the cpu issue, I'd expect the cpu useage to be maximing out all the time, but it isn't. The cpu just isn't scaling back properly.

Unicast, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Unicast

niffer022

cheers for that mate,, this is mine hahahahahahaa

mines all over compaired to yours.... :/

[​IMG]

niffer022, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Unicast

Jason

Not to sure about your first problem, but that problem w/ it not scaling back the cpu speed when on battery for example, is that the cpu drivers are not installed. For my AMD Turion I have to install certain PowerNow drivers which make it able to pull back the frequency, not to sure what drivers you would use but they are out there. Unfortunatly the AMD drivers dont seem to work in Xp Pro x64 and im assuming they dont work in Vista X64 or x86. You may just have to deal w/ it until the driver support catches up w/ vista.

Jason, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Unicast

niffer022

is this high frequency thingy a bad thing.... :blink: whats does it actually, what happens if it stays at 100%, oh and mines not on a laptop mine on the main pc..... :)

niffer022, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Unicast

Jason

Well on laptops when you want to save power and are on a battery for example, it will pull back the cpu frequency from like 1.5ghz to 800mhz to save power when you are not doing things which require a lot of cpu power. It scales it fowards and backwards depending on what you are doing.

Jason, Jun 19, 2006
  8. Unicast

Unicast

I've sent a feedback report to MS about the "hang" at startup. Looks like there might be something dodgy about the Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 3A driver - Intel have withdrawn it from the downloads section on their website. Last night I re-installed Vista and everything was going smoothly until I installed the wireless card driver. :(

Unicast, Jun 19, 2006
  9. Unicast

Unicast

I'm afraid to say that I've had to roll back to XP. With the CPU frequency running at 100% all the time my laptop was throwing out more heat than a small sun (ok, slight exaggeration :p) - and I didn't want to risk it for too much longer - laptops ain't exactly cheap!

It's running much cooler now under XP and the wireless connection is there within seconds not minutes.

Perhaps I'll try again with RC1.

Unicast, Jul 4, 2006
  10. Unicast

Jason

Ya, I just learn to put up w/ it. Even my xp pro x64 doesnt throttle the cpu like it should. I just bring a cord when I go out if I plan to be on it for longer then 1.5hours, my battery sucks.

Jason, Jul 4, 2006
  11. Unicast

majmac

The high CPU frequency could be caused by your video card drivers.

I downloaded the nvidia Vista -86 Beta video card drivers and found that my CPU frequency never went below 50%, even when there were no programs open. On a hunch, I uninstalled those drivers and went back to the ones that came with the Vista B2 download (Microsoft Corp - WDDM) and found that my CPU frequency dropped back to 1%/2% at idle.

majmac, Jul 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question