Start menu and desktop icon's all disappear

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jonny h, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jonny h

jonny h

Hi please could anyone help me , i log onto my computer and everything is fine until i open a program or even just a folder and all my desktop icon's and start menu disappear's i try ctrl , alt, dlte and file and then new task(run)/ explorer.exe and that bringseverything back up and then all is good until i open something again and the same happen's over and over , ive looked at lots of different topic's about this problem but so far no luck it's kinda frustrating as i need my computer for work , that day my trial ended for norton antivirus maybe that has something too do with the problem but im not sure , also it will not allow me too unintall the program which is strange please if anyone has any suggestions id be happy too hear from you thx ...

jonny h, Jun 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. jonny h

Jason

Have you tried booting into safe mode, and seeing if the same thing occurs? This would eliminate any driver issues.

Jason, Jun 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. jonny h

jonny h

yes i have and it does not occur but i cant use my computer like that :(

jonny h, Jun 26, 2008
  4. jonny h

WAW8

Then, you're in for a long and tedious debugging experience.

You need to run MSCONFIG, go to the startup tab, and uncheck all the items. Then, reboot. If the problem returns with all the items unchecked, then it is driver-related. At that point, all you can do is manually rollback and/or upgrade each driver until the problem goes away.

If the problem is gone upon your first reboot, it's related to a startup item. In that case, you will then have to go back into MSCONFIG and start re-enabling the items one at a time, rebooting each time. When the problems return, it was the last item you checked that is the culprit.

WAW8, Jun 27, 2008
  5. jonny h

invisghost

You may not have to do it the long way with MSCONFIG. You may want to try HijackThis.

What you have to do is run a scan, then in the log search for any item that has (no file) or something else.

Get rid of those, and any that you may have uninstalled or other reasons. Restart, and check. If not they go to MSCONFIG.

invisghost, Jun 28, 2008
  6. jonny h

jonny h

ive gone the msconfig way and no luck i will download that software and hopefully it will solve the problem thx

jonny h, Jun 30, 2008
  7. jonny h

jonny h

i downloaded hijackthis and also searched for the file's and still no luck this is very frustrating does anyone have any other free software's that could maybe help my problem please i realy need the help

jonny h, Jul 1, 2008
  8. jonny h

WAW8

Since the routine stuff (MSCONFIG and HijackThis) didn't appear to work, this is looking more and more like an infection from a virus or some other form of malware, especially given your original remarks of:

It's not unusual for malware to block AV program execution, update, removal, and/or installation.

At this point, you could try installing some other commercial AV product (Avast, ESET NOD32, etc), and if that completes successfully, run it to check for malware.

Your only recourse if that fails is a complete reinstallation -- and for that, you will need DVD media, either purchased DVD, or restore media you made previously from the machine (or came with the purchase).

WAW8, Jul 2, 2008
  9. jonny h

jonny h

ok i will try that ,im thinking that their may have already been a virus on my computer and then when my trial for nortonhad ended thats when i could see the effects of the virus , thx also

jonny h, Jul 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question