Spyware causing havok. please help!

Discussion in 'Security' started by connor4190, Jun 21, 2008.

1. connor4190

connor4190

I have what looks like numerous spyware on my pc. TrustedAntivirus, Winanonymous are a couple which have been detected. I didnt install the, but i know that they were from a trogan that for some reason McAffee couldnt delete. I'm thinking of reinstalling my OS instead of trying to eliminate all these. Also typing is horrible since i got these viruses, some times letters dont appear when typing and i have to press hard on keys. I would reinstall vista right now but i dont know how to get my McAffee back, i dont want to lose another subscription from reinstalling.

connor4190, Jun 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. connor4190

WAW8

I don't use McAfee (I'm a big fan of NOD 32), so I can only give you a generic answer. If you bought the AV through an online purchase, they would have sent you an email confirming the purchase, along with some subscription info (typically a name and ID code). In that case, I would recommend the following:

1) Find the email and use the info in that and another machine to download another copy of the app

2) Print off or write down the subscription info

3) After you reinstall Vista, make sure you are NOT connected to the internet

4) Copy the app to the Vista box (can use a USB stick for this) and install the AV app in Vista

5) After the app is installed, configure it to do real-time AV checking

6) THEN ... connect the Vista PC to the internet

If, however, it came preinstalled on the PC, restoring using a Vista DVD will not restore any of the preinstalled applications. In that case, you would need to use "restore" medium to rebuild your PC to its original condition. Even then, I would not connect it to the network until after you configure the AV app.

WAW8, Jun 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question