Sound dont work

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Donar, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Donar

Donar

Yesterday i installed Windows vista from xp. The sound don't work anymore. In the device status it says this device is working properly. What should i do to fix this? Please help me.

Donar, Jun 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Donar

WAW8

This is a common problem with Vista upgrades from XP because the XP drivers audio drivers rarely work in Vista, and for reasons still not understood, Vista seems to have real problems finding updated audio drivers during installation.

If you know the manufacturer of your audio chip/card, you can go to their site, download the latest Vista driver, and replace the driver yourself. If you don't have that information, you can remove the existing driver, reboot, and Vista should attempt to find the correct driver. It still might not do that, though. I've seen it take several reboots before it finally locates the proper driver.

WAW8, Jun 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Donar

hbeedee

G'day

I am sort of having the same problem as Donar. Except that my audio works using Vista Home Premium but very softly. I have set everything up high in vista to get that far.

Should I go and get a Vista audio driver as well? And if so, how would I know which one to get. I am using a Lenova

Cheers

hbeedee

hbeedee, Nov 19, 2008
  4. Donar

WAW8

Audio drivers are actually written for an audio chipset, so to get the correct driver, you have to find out what chipset you are using. That's either on the motherboard (for onboard audio), or on an add-in sound card.

For onboard sound, the specs should be in information that came with your machine. If not, you need to go to the vendor site and look around for tech specs on your machine.

For an add-in card, it's the same deal.

Once you have that information, you can go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest Vista driver. It should say what version it is. Compare that version to the one shown in Device Manager. If it's newer, then install the new version of the driver.

WAW8, Nov 19, 2008
  5. Donar

hbeedee

G'day

Thanks heaps. I will go and do that. With fear and trepidation <grin> And hope that I don't get lost.

Cheers

hbeedee

hbeedee, Nov 19, 2008
  6. Donar

hbeedee

G'day

Just to update the forum on what has happened. I did as yous uggested and downloaded the latest chipset for my Lenovo.What was irritating wa that when I installed it, Vista immediately over-rode it and wiped it out. and put things back to where they had been. Vista does not have the latest chipset.

I HAD been allowing Vista to automatically update. Silly me. So I used my Vista installation disk to restore my system back as far as I could (only a short time). and re-installed the latest chipset. Now it works fine.

If anyone else has a problem, they should make sure that Vista will not over-ride things later.

Cheers

hbeedee

hbeedee, Nov 25, 2008
  7. Donar

WAW8

Actually, you have discovered one of the well-kept "secrets" of preventing Vista from trashing your machine -- turn off automatic updates!! I had Vista trash my filesystem some months ago because it "updated" the chipset SATA drivers with "newer" ones -- which were actually "older" ones, and as a result, the MFT on my drive got corrupted. Since then, I don't apply anymore device driver updates from MS.

WAW8, Nov 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question