Some Programmes Won't Install

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Alexa, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Alexa

Alexa

Adobe Shockwave, and Adobe flash, when I click on the install, nothing happens.
    I tried on the original drive, which was a HDD, the same programmes, plus LibreOffice, however Libreoffice installed fine on the SSD.

Alexa, Apr 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Alexa

Alexa

Solved.

For some reason, I had to right-click abd open 'Properties', and then click 'Unblock', however I never had to do that before.

Alexa, Apr 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Alexa

mike shupp

It's a new thing, I'm noticing it myself. I'm guessing that some suppliers are providing files in shorter, "denser" formats that download more quickly. It might also be that such files are encoded to resist decryption by casual snoopers looking to see wht you download.

mike shupp, May 16, 2017
  4. Alexa

Ethan Stark

Most Windows software needs to be installed with administrator privileges. Thanks to User Account Control (UAC), you’re probably using a limited user account. Most of the time, you won’t have to worry about this. Whenever you install a program you’ll see a UAC pop-up and can grant permission. Modern software installers will automatically ask for permission, while Windows will attempt to automatically run old software installers with the administrator privileges they require. However, every so often, a program will fail to install — perhaps the installer will say that it can’t write to a certain folder. In these cases, you’ll need to manually run the installer as administrator.The MUO Security Checklist: What You Need To Do Right Now To Be Safe
    The MUO Security Checklist: What You Need To Do Right Now To Be Safe
    Security can be an overwhelming subject – there are so many potential problems we need to think about when securing our computers, our online accounts, and our wireless networks. This list should help simplify things...
    READ MORETo do so, close the installer, right-click the installer file, and select Run as administrator. Agree to the prompt and the installer will run with administrator privileges, allowing it to write to system folders and install normally.run-program-as-administrator
    Consider x86 vs. x64
    Most Windows computers now have 64-bit hardware and 64-bit versions of Windows. However, some Windows computers still have a 32-bit version of Windows. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you can install 32-bit software because it’s backwards compatible. However, if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, you can’t install 64-bit software. If you download a 64-bit software installer for a 32-bit version of Windows, you’ll see an error and the installer won’t run.
    Check whether you’re on a 64-bit version of Windows or not. To avoid this problem, just download the correct installer for your system — many programs have download pages where they offer a choice between 32-bit and 64-bit software installers. 32-bit systems may be referred to as “x86,” while 64-bit systems may be referred to as “x64” or “amd64.” For example, here’s what the option looks like on the 7-Zip website

Ethan Stark, Jun 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements