Some Concerns Before I Create a Disk Image

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by worried88, Mar 12, 2009.

1. worried88

worried88

I have Macrium Reflect free edition (image software).

I have an HP laptop that I want to send in because I have a warranty extension where

they will take a look at my motherboard(my model laptop was known to ship with some

defects).

Here are the scenarios I am trying to fully prepare for before I image my drive,

erase all sensitive data, and then send my laptop into HP:

1) HP sends it back with some new hardware. I need to restore the image to this to

get all the software licenses and docs I have backed up on the image. When I restore

the image will I need to reinstall Vista first?

Even if they change nothing, I will still need to restore my image(because of having

erasing the data before I sent the laptop in)

2) at some point in the future my laptop might be unrepairable and I buy a new one.

I will want to restore the image to it. But what if it has Windows 7 on it? will

I be able to restore the image (created in Vista) right into Windows 7?

3) do I need to worry about the permission settings on files? I have heard that after

I restore the image I could run into problems where the files don't recognize my

right to access them, esp. if I'm restoring to a machine with new hardware, new operating system, or new machine entirely.

worried88, Mar 12, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. worried88

WAW8

Don't use Macrium, so can't answer the details about what it will do. Did learn on my box that Vista, being installed after XP, wrote its boot files to the XP partition. Fortunately, learned this and fixed it before I replaced XP with Seven.

If HP changes the hardware, you will want to make new HP recovery media. Your image backups might not have the right drivers.

The last HP recovery I did completely overwrote the hard drive, partitions and all. But, don't know what the newer media will do.

WAW8, Mar 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question