[SOLVED] windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by 029kid, Feb 12, 2008.

1. 029kid

029kid

Im having a problem, I got a kernel missing or corrupt all of the sudden so I had to format and reinstall Vista Business. Im having Lenovo t61 [ http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-67709 ]

BUT now after 'expanding files' inthe vista installprocessis complete at100% the PC is supposed to reboot, but I get an error saying 'windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase...'

Ive read that I might try to install drive controller drivers in the 'load driver' thing..

The problem is that I dont know what file i need!? Can someone help me out here, what driver do I need ?

Im trying to install Vista on a partitioned Seagate Momentus [ ST9200420ASG ]

Do I need a SATA Hard Disk Controller or what ? In that case i cant find them... Do they follow the chipset drivers or ?

Any of theese?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67818

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-63685

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67228

Could use a link! ;)

029kid, Feb 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. 029kid

WAW8

Since you mentioned a Lenovo, am I right in presuming it came preinstalled with Vista? Or did it come with XP and you installed Vista?

Also, how are you trying to reinstall Vista -- with an OEM DVD you bought? With a retail DVD that you bought? With a recovery DVD that you burned from the Vista installation on the box?

I've added a pinned post about reinstalling a Vista environment in a machine with Vista preinstalled. Check that out and see if it helps.

WAW8, Feb 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. 029kid

029kid

thanks for your answer.. It camed with XP and I installed Vista business on it and it worked flawless for 2 months.

Then yesterday it crashed... Im trying to repair with a new copy of the installation DVD I used to install it at first.

Ive found some disk controller drives now.. could it be theese ?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62909.html

029kid, Feb 12, 2008
  4. 029kid

WAW8

This is the link I found for your machine:

[url]http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67853.html [/url]

Click the Hard Drive entry and it will scroll down to the drivers you need.

I'm guessing that when you installed Vista before, you did that from inside XP, right? Otherwise, I don't know how that could have worked without providing drivers, when this install IS requiring drivers.

WAW8, Feb 12, 2008
  5. 029kid

029kid

Actually I bought a new drive and installed Vista on that one without installing any drivers... Ill try this now... Ill get back to you!

029kid, Feb 12, 2008
  6. 029kid

WAW8

OK -- but you didn't answer the question: did you install it from inside XP? Or, did you boot to a DVD and do a clean install without an existing OS?

Cause, if it was the second, and you didn't supply drivers then, unless this is a different disk interface (i.e., IDE then, SATA now), I don't see why it is now suddenly asking for drivers.

WAW8, Feb 12, 2008
  7. 029kid

029kid

As I said I bought a new drive and installed it on that one, a clean fresh install.

Anyway, I tried something now.. I got my hand on another drive and tried to install it on that one.. also a sata drive.. That went flawless without any error.

I installed the seagate disc in another PC and it tells me the drive is corrupt and that I should do backup before it crashes.

So I asume the disc it self is broken.. Its brand new though.. but strange things happens.

Can I fix this with some kind of chkdisc or can i claim a new one ? even though it appears in my computer and seems ok... ?

029kid, Feb 12, 2008
  8. 029kid

WAW8

Seagate provides utilities for examining their drives, known as (what else?) SeaTools. Google for this. You'll be taken to the Seagate site where you can download the utility. I've used it and it does a good job of examining your drive. I believe that it can also do a low-level format of the drive, returning it to factory-fresh condition (at least, in terms of content).

WAW8, Feb 13, 2008
  9. 029kid

029kid

Itried this but I get errors while trying to check it. The disc must be corrupt in some kind of way.
    None of the tests can be complete......

I will call and get a new disc!! :)

Thanks for all info, I appreciate!

029kid, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question