[SOLVED]weird problem when trying to boot from dvd

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by kostas_8, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kostas_8

kostas_8

Hi all. I have a problem when trying to install windows vista 32 bit on my pc. I try to boot from cd but when i press a button to boot from cd the cd stops spinning and i get my pc restarted. same thing everytime.

ASUS M2N motherboard

2GB Ram

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3Ghz

ATI HD3870 512MB

I don't know why this happens.

i have 2 IDE HDD (120+250 GB) and a IDE converted with an adaptor to SATA, DVD drive. waiting for help :/

kostas_8, Mar 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. kostas_8

WAW8

Sounds like the DVD drive is spinning up but Vista is not actually reading the DVD. If I understand what you said, you have a SATA DVD drive connected through an adapter to an IDE port. That most certainly takes a driver to do the conversion.

If this is the case, this is a catch-22 in that Vista needs a driver to read the SATA DVD drive, but until it reads the drive and loads WinPE from that drive, it won't get far enough to prompt for drivers.

If you have an "old" IDE DVD drive around, you could try connecting that to see if it will read it. Your only other option would be an external DVD drive, but then, your PC would have to support booting from an external drive, and many don't.

WAW8, Mar 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. kostas_8

kostas_8

the dvd drive is IDE and with an adaptor i connect it to sata connection on my motherboard. The 2 HDD and the dvd drive are all IDE. I currently dont have my pc to test what you told me. I'll hopefully get it back on Thursday.

kostas_8, Mar 28, 2008
  4. kostas_8

WAW8

OK, I understand that the DVD drive is IDE, but you said you have it connected via an adapter to a SATA port. That still presents the problem that the Vista installer needs a SATA driver to read across the SATA port. I'm guessing that your PC only has one IDE connector on the motherboard, right?

I've tried SATA/IDE adapters myself and have found them to be problematic. One problem is that modern SATA devices expect a 2.0 connection, but some adapters are only capable of providing 1.1 connections. With something like a camera or printer, and their low data flow rate, that's generally not a problem, but when it involves hard drives or DVD drivers, that can be a different story.

WAW8, Mar 28, 2008
  5. kostas_8

kostas_8

Yes there's only one IDE connector on my motherboard. I was thinking of disconnecting (primary, till i install vista and then connect again) my second HDD and turn the DVD drive to IDE again for installing Vista. I don't think that AFTER the installation there would be a problem in finding a new HDD and the dvd drive running as Sata. I'll wait till i get to my pc cause i am not at home these days. I'll be back with news.

kostas_8, Mar 28, 2008
  6. kostas_8

WAW8

That should work fine. Vista should have no problem finding the drivers after installation.

WAW8, Mar 28, 2008
  7. kostas_8

kostas_8

all done :) installed vista and everything is running fine. Thank you :)

kostas_8, Mar 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question